What's new

Issues with my Asus RP-AC68U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Anton Tran

New Around Here
So i bought this repeater or what ever its called "Asus RP-AC68U" and paid 180€ for that, So i tought this will be a very good repeater for me because i have my pc upstairs and fiber downstairs. but the result was that download speed is 30Mbps when im connected with ethernet to the repeater, but if i connect my ethernet cable to my fiber i get the speed what im paying for which is 100Mbps. So i was wondering is this suppost to be this slow when im upstairs or do i have some settings what i should change to get my normal speed ??? Also every few day my pc says that there is no internet connection on the repeater for 30 min , after that its back with a connection. So could somewone help if possible?

Also my English isn't the best but hope you guys will understand :p

I would say not the best way to go and much to expensive.
You could get an RT-AC68U for less (starting 120€) or even cheaper RT-AC66U_B1 for under €100 (almost same hardware with other housing) and much more possibilities beside repeater mode.

Did you connect the repeater via 5G or only 2,4G to the parent router? Clients using WiFi on the repeater will get only half Wifi speed if on same band as your backhaul to your parent router.
Is your laptop or mobile on the same position as your router if you connect them directly to your router-Wifi? Maybe signal is not strong enough where you placed the repeater.

I would say not the best way to go and much to expensive.
You could get an RT-AC68U for less (starting 120€) or even cheaper RT-AC66U_B1 for under €100 (almost same hardware with other housing) and much more possibilities beside repeater mode.

Did you connect the repeater via 5G or only 2,4G to the parent router? Clients using WiFi on the repeater will get only half Wifi speed if on same band as your backhaul to your parent router.
Is your laptop or mobile on the same position as your router if you connect them directly to your router-Wifi? Maybe signal is not strong enough where you placed the repeater.

Im not sure which one i connected but i am not using wifi with the repeater only ethernet from my pc and the repeater is next to my computer. i bought this repeater because i dont know much about internet things so i just tought that its kinda expensive so it has to be good enough to have good speed upstairs.

The connection between your repeater and your modem-router downstairs is done over Wifi (thats how repeaters work).
You have to setup this when you first time install the repeater to use 2G or 5G Wifi, and 5G would be much faster if signal is strong enough.
So check repeater how you did it and change to 5G if possible.

The connection between your repeater and your modem-router downstairs is done over Wifi (thats how repeaters work).
You have to setup this when you first time install the repeater to use 2G or 5G Wifi, and 5G would be much faster if signal is strong enough.
So check repeater how you did it and change to 5G if possible.

There is a Express 5gb mode , should i turn it on?

If you don't need the WiFi upstairs from the the repeater then in addition to using th 5 Ghz radio for the link if possible put the repeater into the mode labeled (bridge, media bridge, etc.). The bridge mode even on 2.4 Ghz should be faster than the repeater mode as you are now using it as a glorified wireless card with bigger antennas and a more powerful radio.

If you don't need the WiFi upstairs from the the repeater then in addition to using th 5 Ghz radio for the link if possible put the repeater into the mode labeled (bridge, media bridge, etc.). The bridge mode even on 2.4 Ghz should be faster than the repeater mode as you are now using it as a glorified wireless card with bigger antennas and a more powerful radio.

https://gyazo.com/adb29f6af621594502872e884ab82f35

Is That the right one?

could you please explain this, why should it use other antennas (bigger - where are they?) or more transmission power as power is limited to all devices in the same manner.

Try 5G-Express and bridge mode and tell us if you can see different speeds.

Last edited:
test 2G express too! Maybe even better if 5G signal is too weak.
and put it on different positions, maybe some get stronger signals.

Furthermore check your router for 2G - 40MHz bandwith and 5G 40 or 80 MHz and change it to maximum.

test 2G express too! Maybe even better if 5G signal is too weak.
and put it on different positions, maybe some get stronger signals.

Furthermore check your router for 2G - 40MHz bandwith and 5G 40 or 80 MHz and change it to maximum.

i'll try it tomorrow i have some work to do now so i do not have time anymore.

could you please explain this, why should it use other antennas (bigger - where are they?) or more transmission power as power is limited to all devices in the same manner.

Try 5G-Express and bridge mode and tell us if you can see different speeds.

The AC68 has three external antennas that can be oriented and adjusted for best signal reception. The antennas in a laptop are often wrapped around the screen.

Most WiFi clients don't have as much signal power as the AP radios in a router. I guess technically they could but often they don't which is the reason it doesn't do much good to crank up the power on the router's radios if the client can't answer back.

The AC68 has three external antennas that can be oriented and adjusted for best signal reception. The antennas in a laptop are often wrapped around the screen.

Most WiFi clients don't have as much signal power as the AP radios in a router. I guess technically they could but often they don't which is the reason it doesn't do much good to crank up the power on the router's radios if the client can't answer back.
yes, but its all the same not related to which mode you use the repeater in repeater mode or bridge mode, it will be the same all the time as his client is hard wired to LAN of repeater!
And if you dont connect clients to the repeater wifi it is exactly same behavior as in repeater mode.
Same antennas and same wifi power are used by the RP-AC68U repeater in both modes!

And this repeater doesnt have external antennas!!!

He wrote he gets much more speed with built in antennas from laptop connected to main-router downstairs than using this repeater which should do it better!

Are you mixing up his RP-AC68U with RT-AC68U?
P_setting_fff_1_90_end_500.png

url

Last edited:
yes, but its all the same not related to which mode you use the repeater in repeater mode or bridge mode, it will be the same all the time as his client is hard wired to LAN of repeater!
And if you dont connect clients to the repeater wifi it is exactly same behavior as in repeater mode.
Same antennas and same wifi power are used by the RP-AC68U repeater in both modes!

And this repeater doesnt have external antennas!!!

He wrote he gets much more speed with built in antennas from laptop connected to main-router downstairs than using this repeater which should do it better!

Are you mixing up his RP-AC68U with RT-AC68U?
P_setting_fff_1_90_end_500.png

url

He said he gets better speed when connected by Ethernet cableto his primary router rather than connecting to his repeater by Ethernet cable.

I agree he doesn't mention having an AC68 so my comments regarding external antennas don't apply.

He said he gets better speed when connected by Ethernet cableto his primary router rather than connecting to his repeater by Ethernet cable.
Correct, so in both cases the repeater WiFi is not used for clients, only as backhaul to main router, cient is connected via LAN!

So there is no difference between bridge or repeater mode for his usage, he should get same speed with either.

Correct, so in both cases the repeater WiFi is not used for clients, only as backhaul to main router, cient is connected via LAN!

So there is no difference between bridge or repeater mode for his usage, he should get same speed with either.

Logically that seems it would be the case. Practically you might not be able to measure any difference, but by the fact the repeater requires that the device broadcast its SSID and be ready to repeat traffic you are putting more of a load on the processor and radios.

In the past year there was a formula posted on this forum to be used to calculate what the impact is of multiple SSIDs on performance. Unfortunately I could not find the formula to post a link.

its about 3% per SSID on radio (I wrote this somewhere), forget it.
And processor got no load in repeater/bridge mode (somewhere in single % range).

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!