What's new

Itus Networks Shield

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Cloud200

TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS
- 2x 1.0 GHz MIPS64
(Cavium Octeon III)
– 1 GB DDR3 RAM
– 4GB eMMC Storage
– 3x GbE Interfaces
– 1x RJ45 Console Cable
– SD Card Interface
– RJ45 Serial Console

https://itusnetworks.com/product/shield/

Looks to be pretty interesting purely from the components used. Seems to be a little over double the raw CPU of the ERLite-3 with double the RAM.
I wonder how it compares to the Mikrotik RB850x2 and the Ubiquiti ERLite-3.
We can safely ignore any acceleration since the Ubiquiti disables NAT acceleration when your config gets complex and the Mikrotik never had it enabled.

In the end, its basically a Cavium eval board with openwrt on it.

Any thoughts?

Last edited:
TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS
- 2x 1.0 GHz MIPS64
(Cavium Octeon III)
– 1 GB DDR3 RAM
– 4GB eMMC Storage
– 3x GbE Interfaces
– 1x RJ45 Console Cable
– SD Card Interface
– RJ45 Serial Console

https://itusnetworks.com/product/shield/

Looks to be pretty interesting purely from the components used. Seems to be a little over double the raw CPU of the ERLite-3 with double the RAM.
I wonder how it compares to the Mikrotik RB850x2 and the Ubiquiti ERLite-3.
We can safely ignore any acceleration since the Ubiquiti disables NAT acceleration when your config gets complex and the Mikrotik never had it enabled.

Any thoughts?

I ordered one when it was being crowd funded ... But what really interests me is the folks at Itus have stated when they get everything worked out, they're going to contribute the code to open source - because it is based on open source Snort, Squid, and other apps.

Taking it a step further, it would be really hot if this were ported into an Optware/Entware package. I realize each is available as a separate package, but having an all-in-one IPS/IDS would be nice.

Last edited:
Nice specs, but I seriously doubt it'll be able to deliver on all the promises it says. To protect against key loggers is not something I look for in a router.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Any thoughts?

Looking at the pictures and the specs i am intrigued. If it is running Openwrt I may even purchase one as it sounds like a good fit. I do not get the hardware acceleration part. Because Ubiquiti disables hardware acceleration with complex configs and Mikrotik never used it we can assume that the Itus will not use it? One of the strengths of the Octeon is hardware acceleration and they have a linux sdk. It must be possible to use some parts of this hardware at least?

that hardware seems popular all around, even pfsense sells it too as their entry level.
Excuse my ignorance but I haven't seen any pfsense octeon based hardware? Where do i find those?

Looking at the pictures and the specs i am intrigued. If it is running Openwrt I may even purchase one as it sounds like a good fit. I do not get the hardware acceleration part. Because Ubiquiti disables hardware acceleration with complex configs and Mikrotik never used it we can assume that the Itus will not use it? One of the strengths of the Octeon is hardware acceleration and they have a linux sdk. It must be possible to use some parts of this hardware at least?
Do you know of any commercial firewall that's able to do exactly that?
Granted, you may be able to get multiple paths on the traffic; fastpath some while processing others in the software stack.

The proper way to do it is with a co-processor. That's even the recommended method from Cavium

It is also an order of magnitude more expensive and difficult to program from a manufacturer's perspective.

Excuse my ignorance but I haven't seen any pfsense octeon based hardware? Where do i find those?
Oh you know he mixed it up with a pcengines apu or alix.

Depends on traffic to be managed....I am pretty satisfied of my pfSense appliance, powered by an Atom C2558 Rangeley.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Originally I was looking at the following;
http://www.rhinolabsinc.com/rhino-utm8-networking-appliance/
but saw that exact same press release.

Looks like a few Cavium Octeon III are being produced. The Itus Shield and this Rhino utm8. Have you found other Octeon III hardware products? :) Reading the press releases I must say that I am almost as exited as when I first saw the EdgeRouter from Ubiquity. I have pre ordered the Itus Shield which imho could be a dream router depending on how well Openwrt runs on the device.

Howdy folks, thanks kindly for your interest in our product.
Please let us know if you've got any questions we can help to answer.

Howdy folks, thanks kindly for your interest in our product.
Please let us know if you've got any questions we can help to answer.
What is the typical throughout can we see from this device?
Eg. Is it over or under 100mbps with the typical feature set enabled? 50mbps?

Shield_Left_Small.jpg

Since I have FTTH via a fiber gateway and have no modem, suppose this unit wouldn't be compatible!? kidding!;)

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!