What's new

/jffs/configs/ not being recognized.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Darf Nader

Occasional Visitor
Hi all,

This is my first post, so please bear with me if this question has been asked before. (I was not able to find it asked within the last 5 years so I thought I would start fresh.) I recently updated my firmware from the miserable factory firmware for my ASUS RT-AC87U (RT-AC87R-50C8) with the RT-AC87U_380.65_0.trx firmware in order to get a properly working GUI but more importantly have the ability to customize my dnsmasq configs.

Based on previous posts, in order to make changes that persist after a reboot, all configurations must be present in /jffs/configs. In my case, I am simply starting out by adding local DNS for static IPs and found that both the hosts.add method nor the more extensible dnsmasq.conf.add seem to be getting recognized.

Initially, I created /jffs/configs/dnsmasq.conf.add with the single line:
addn-hosts=/jffs/extrahostsfile

Then, in /jffs/extrahostsfile I simply had:
192.168.XXX.11 test
(the third octet has been obfuscated for paranoia.)

I then rebooted my ASUS router but after it came back, the name "test" would not resolve on a host on the LAN. I even did a DHCP refresh for the host to make sure it had the latest DNS server and domain info, which I confirmed matched in the client's /etc/resolve.conf that I was testing resolution.

I tried the more basic /config/hosts.add with the same contents:
92.168.XXX.11 test

I rebooted the router and again, no love. I have tried to resolve both the short name (as entered) as well as the FQDN but neither work. Any other reasons why this might be failing?

I was looking for appropriate logs that might clue me in but nothing under /var/log looks right.

Thanks,
Darf

Looks like you have formatted the /jffs partition as otherwise you could not create the custom dnsmasq.conf.add file.

But did you also set Enable JFFS custom scripts and configs = Yes on the Administration / System page of the router GUI? :rolleyes: