What's new

Just picked up the R7800 (installed Voxel f/w) and Have Some ?s

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Poseidon

I just purchased the R7800 router and installed Voxel's latest firmware. I''m coming from Asus routers where I have used them for the past several years and I'm trying to get accustomed to the Netgear GUI and settings.

1) Does Stubby and DNSCrypt-Proxy-2 come "baked in" the latest Voxel firmware?

2) Is it recommended to use Stubby or DNSCrypt-Proxy-2?

3) Can I get STEP-By-STEP instructions on how to install Stubby or DNSCrypt-Proxy-2?

4) I set-up ipv6 (Cloud Flare) and I'm gettimg the following message when running an "ipv6 test":

1. Reconfigure your firewall
Your router or firewall is filtering ICMPv6 messages sent to your computer. An IPv6 host that cannot receive ICMP messages may encounter problems like some web pages loading partially or not at all.

How do I fix this? Is it a settings adjustment/issue or is this not fixable???

Thanks in advance.

1. Yes
  2. DNSCrypt seems more popular right now. Firefox and Chrome will offer this feature, but if you want to ensure all DNS calls are encrypted, do it at the router.
  3. See: https://www.snbforums.com/threads/c...-2-67sf-1-0-2-67-1sf.56921/page-5#post-504529

Thanks Sizzlechest. I entered the command "
nvram show | grep dnscrypt2" and it spits back "dnscrypt2=1"

Does it mean that DNSCrypt-Proxy-2 is ENABLED?

Also do I need to do anything else or is it pretty much set it and forget it?

Does it mean that DNSCrypt-Proxy-2 is ENABLED?

Yes. After reboot of your router check that it is working. Enter to:

https://www.perfect-privacy.com/en/tests/dns-leaktest

it should show you the list of DNS servers you are using now. Not DNS of your ISP.

Also do I need to do anything else or is it pretty much set it and forget it?

If your DNS requests are fast enough just use it (set and forget). If not fast you may change the file /etc/dnscrypt-proxy-2.toml to setup the DNSCrypt provider close to you. Maps of locations:

https://dnscrypt.info/map

NOTE: your setting ("dnscrypt2=1") should be kept after flashing new firmware. But you have to restore your /etc/dnscrypt-proxy-2.toml if you changed it.

Usually cloudflare (set by default in firmware) is fast enough.

Voxel.

Last edited:
I have a thumbdrive with an autorun post-mount.sh script that edits the /etc/dnscrypt-proxy-2.toml file after it's plugged into the R7800:

Code:
#!/bin/sh

if [ ! -f "/root/firewall-start.sh" ]
then
  cp /tmp/mnt/$1/firewall-start.sh /root/.
fi

if [ ! -f "/root/.ssh/authorized_keys" ]
then
  cp /tmp/mnt/$1/authorized_keys /root/.ssh/authorized_keys
fi

sed -i -r "s/^(server_names[[:space:]]*=[[:space:]]*).*/\1['cisco']/" /etc/dnscrypt-proxy-2.toml

I use OpenDNS because it filters harmful sites, so I need to change the server list to only use cisco. The sed command does that for me.

I have a thumbdrive with an autorun post-mount.sh script that edits the /etc/dnscrypt-proxy-2.toml file after it's plugged into the R7800:

Nice. Thanks for sharing your experience.

I'd suggest only a slight improvement:

Code:
. . .
if [ ! -f "/overlay/etc/dnscrypt-proxy-2.toml " ]; then
      sed -i -r "s/^(server_names[[:space:]]*=[[:space:]]*).*/\1['cisco']/" /etc/dnscrypt-proxy-2.toml
fi

to save internal flash memory of your router, otherwise it will write to it after every reboot.

/overlay keeps your changes.

It's up to you of course.

Voxel.

Nice. Thanks for sharing your experience.

I'd suggest only a slight improvement:

Code:
. . .
if [ ! -f "/overlay/etc/dnscrypt-proxy-2.toml " ]; then
fi

to save internal flash memory of your router, otherwise it will write to it after every reboot.

/overlay keeps your changes.

It's up to you of course.

Voxel.

I don't leave the thumbdrive in the router, but you just made me realize that I could. That way on a firmware update it could auto-install, yes?

Nobody uses this crap. this site is dead anyway!

Yes. Some kind of auto-restore from backup after firmware update. I was sure that you have organized this scheme exactly for this.

Voxel.

Yes, but I would only plug it in after I upgraded the firmware, then I'd remove it after I reboot the router to ensure all the changes are active. I didn't think of just leaving the thumbdrive in there so it would do it automatically. So the only time /overlay/etc/dnscrypt-proxy-2.toml will be non-existant is right after a firmware upgrade and the USB device will be unmounted before the upgrade and remounted when it's done?

So the only time /overlay/etc/dnscrypt-proxy-2.toml will be non-existant is right after a firmware upgrade
Yes. Until you change the file /etc/dnscrypt-proxy-2.toml after flashing new fw it will be non existent in /overlay/etc/

and the USB device will be unmounted before the upgrade and remounted when it's done?
USB is mounted after each reboot (including the case when new fw is flashed). And autorun post-mount.sh is executed after reboot or every time when USB is attached.

OK, let us stop confusing topic starter. All this is out-of-topic. Welcome to P.M. or to the new thread if you wish.

Voxel.

Is there a solution/fix for #4 - where ICMP is being filtered by the router when IPV6 is enabled?

Happening with both stock and Voxels firmware. Any help in regards to this is greatly appreciated. Thanks

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!