What's new

L2TP VPN server option on RT-AC5300

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

psychopomp1

Hi,
Finally got around to flashing my AC5300 with HG Gomes' firmware v380.59 last night...primarily so that I could play around with the radio power settings...ermmmm cough cough splutter :p

Anyway I noticed that under VPN server, I now also have the option to connect to my VPN provider (expressvpn) using the L2TP/IPSec protocol (in addition to PPTP), I know stock Asus fw only supports PPTP but is the L2TP protocol also supported on the Merlin fw (under VPN server) in case I ever go back to Merlin fw? IMHO L2TP/IPSec protocol is a good balance between speed & security, ie better security than PPTP and better speeds than OpenVPN.

Donkeys years ago on my AC87U (yuk) i could never get more than 25 mb/s using the built-in OpenVPN server in the stock fw but PPTP speeds were fine (70 mb/s). Hopefully using the L2TP/IPSec protocol will give me ~70 mb/s speeds on my Talktalk VDSL2 connection (80 mb/s).

Cheers :)