What's new

L2TP VPN Speed

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

andrewocker

New Around Here
I have an ASUS RT AC66U (not B1) with Express VPN set up on it. I have to use the L2TP Protocol because of where I am (the isp blocks all other protocols). It works fine, but is quite slow; no matter what server I use with Express Vpn, either close to where I am or distant, the speed from normal internet drops by about 80% or more. (my normal internet speed is 50mbps).

Would a higher spec router (e.g. the ASUS RT AC86U) that has a faster processor make any difference to the vpn speed? More processing power for encryption etc.

I have had conflicting opinions of this, and would like to see if anyone here is able to give a (fairly) definitive answer.

Thanks,
Andrew

Last edited:
Thanks BB,
I have had a look through the (100's) of pages; I still don't see anything that specifically answers the question 'does a faster processor have any benefit for vpn speed using the L2TP protocol'?

Just a yes or no is really all I need.

If anyone knows, most appreciated to hear.

Thanks,
Andrew