What's new

LaCie 5Big NAS Pro External USB Drive Corrupt

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jamski88

New Around Here
:?:
So, I'm running a LaCie 5Big NAS Pro 20 TB drive running v3.1.5.1 firmware. Works great.

I decided to attach a Toshiba 500GB USB3 drive to one of the unit's USB3 ports to share it on my network. (Basically, this one.)

I formatted on my PC first as NTFS, and plugged it into the LaCie. After a few moments, I saw this new blank drive on my network.

Great, so far.

I started to fill it up with some files I wanted to archive (about 450 GB). That went as expected. After it was done, I spot checked the newly copied files over the network. All was fine.

I properly ejected the 500GB USB3 drive from the LaCie dashboard and put the drive on a shelf for later use.

Here's where it goes awry.

I go to use this drive by plugging it into my PC (the same one I used to format it in the first place), and my Windows 7 PRO workstation said this drive needed initialized to be used. Of course, I didn't do that. I ejected it and tried it on another workstation, same result. I then tried on a MAC, same result.

So, I plugged it back into the LaCie, and while the 5Big NAS Pro saw it as a drive that was filled to about 98% capacity, I was unable to browse the drive from the network OR from the dashboard's own file browser.

My question is, what the heck happened?

I tried the same process with another USB3 drive, different manufacturer (WD this time, 1TB). Again, when I go to use this drive on a stand alone PC, it's unrecognizable. It's also unreadable by the LaCie itself.

Needless to say, I don't attached USB3 drives to this LaCie NAS anymore. Unfortunately, the contents of the first 500GB USB3 drive are now seemingly lost, as I deleted the source material since I assumed this drive was properly archived.

What's going on? Is this a known flaw in this unit?

There are too many reports here of LaCie NASes having design defects or the file system is corrupt and there's no tool to repair.

Sorry. I think LaCie got sold too many times and it's kind of abandoned. The trick is to find a forum of LaCie users who can help one another. Not many here.

I think you could do some recovery work on that drive.
You could first make a pass with chkdsk on it. If it looks good you can redo it with the flag /f

You could use Paragon Hard disk manager.

You could work with Photorec: http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/PhotoRec, a very powerful file recovery tool (I didn't say easy, I said powerful, very powerfull).
(By the way, don't judge by the name...)

I'm not sure of what I would do first, probably the chkdsk without the /f switch.

There are too many reports here of LaCie NASes having design defects or the file system is corrupt and there's no tool to repair.

Sorry. I think LaCie got sold too many times and it's kind of abandoned. The trick is to find a forum of LaCie users who can help one another. Not many here.

That's quite unfortunate. I've been using LaCie NASes for a while now with no issues. Do you think this problem is only found when using the external USB ports? Their internal drives and file systems seem quite stable to me.

But this does make me want to step up my backup procedures.

That's quite unfortunate. I've been using LaCie NASes for a while now with no issues. Do you think this problem is only found when using the external USB ports? Their internal drives and file systems seem quite stable to me.

But this does make me want to step up my backup procedures.

C'mon. Someone tells you that La Cie NAS are not what they used to be (I think that La Cie is now part of Seagate), a product you know well and a product that you have been using for years without any problems, and you give up ?

Are you looking for support or not ? Is there something I don't understand?
Obviously the data stored on the Toshiba seems to be there ("filled to about 98%capacity"= ~450GB).

If this data has any value for you:
-Have you run chkdsk on the Toshiba?
-Have you look at it with Paragon disk manager ?
-As a last resort, have you run photorec on it ?

GH

C'mon. Someone tells you that La Cie NAS are not what they used to be (I think that La Cie is now part of Seagate), a product you know well and a product that you have been using for years without any problems, and you give up ?

Are you looking for support or not ? Is there something I don't understand?
Obviously the data stored on the Toshiba seems to be there ("filled to about 98%capacity"= ~450GB).

If this data has any value for you:
-Have you run chkdsk on the Toshiba?
-Have you look at it with Paragon disk manager ?
-As a last resort, have you run photorec on it ?

GH

I'm not giving up on my LaCies. I have three of them that work like a charm otherwise. I have no plans of switching to something else that probably also has flaws.

I back up the important data nightly, so I'm not overly concerned. I now offload old data from the LaCie NAS via the network to a USB3 drive attached to my PC, and that works reliably (albeit, slower). As a result of this unfortunate failure, I also now backup these offloads to ANOTHER USB3 hard drive. So, if anything, this one failure now is making me stronger in a way.

The data on this ONE Toshiba drive is irreplaceable, but old and probably will never be needed again. I will put this drive on the shelf and deal with it when I have to.

I can't use chkdsk, as when I plug it into my PC, it doesn't even mount. So the system won't see it.

I was simply asking if this was a known problem with LaCie, and if anyone had suggestions. You did, and thank you.

Cheesh!

I'm not giving up on my LaCies. I have three of them that work like a charm otherwise. I have no plans of switching to something else that probably also has flaws.

I back up the important data nightly, so I'm not overly concerned. I now offload old data from the LaCie NAS via the network to a USB3 drive attached to my PC, and that works reliably (albeit, slower). As a result of this unfortunate failure, I also now backup these offloads to ANOTHER USB3 hard drive. So, if anything, this one failure now is making me stronger in a way.

The data on this ONE Toshiba drive is irreplaceable, but old and probably will never be needed again. I will put this drive on the shelf and deal with it when I have to.

I can't use chkdsk, as when I plug it into my PC, it doesn't even mount. So the system won't see it.

I was simply asking if this was a known problem with LaCie, and if anyone had suggestions. You did, and thank you.

Cheesh!

I see your point... Remember that if you want to look at your Toshiba content and re-active the partition, I think you can use "disk manager" on Windows 8 .