What's new

Lan based only dropbox alternative

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

System Error Message

Part of the Furniture
I just thought i'd introduce Aerofs https://www.aerofs.com as a LAN only file sync solution. It seems to have many features that dropbox has but is only limited by the hard drive spaces of your computers. i've been using aerofs to sync files between all my computers for quite a while now and it can also sync over the internet (it uses some proxy like connection which tops out at 1Mb/s but you can use VPN to significantly speed it up) and you can access your files from your phone/tablet.

Aerofs is also free like dropbox though you are only limited by your hard drive and having another system running at the same time for a sync to happen. For those who build their own private clouds might want to try it as a way to sync files between different machines and as a backup solution. Although they have the software for windows, mac and linux they dont seem to have it for embedded NAS boxes. it might be possible to add aerofs to routers like ASUS but i have never tried it.

I'd like to see if anyone else uses it or has tried it and see their comments and opinions.

Last edited:
I know QNAP doesn't support Aero because they already have their own proprietary QSync app that does the same thing. Aero is definitely an interesting tool.

Aerofs - nice.
For years, I've been using Centered Systems' "Second Copy" software. Really l.ike its simplicity and intuitive features for sync, backup and versioning.

For backing up/mirroring user data, I use a tool called FreeFileSync.