What's new

Lan to Wan connection doesn't work , need help.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Leon44

Occasional Visitor
Hello mates ,

Yersterday i upgraded my internet/phone package from 50mbps to 100mbps but Voip is forced from now on and my dsl-ac68u does not support it right away but has sip passthrough support. Also my provider doesnt give the telephony codes so even if it was supported i couldnt use it anyway.

I tried firstly a lan to lan configuration with the Asus as secondary but bandwidth limitation of course didnt work and its really critical for me and my family.

My next idea is a lan to wan setup with Asus as a primary and Technicolor router as a secondary working only for the phone.

So here we are , Asus is the DSL-AC68U model and the providers the Technicolor the TG789vac v2 model , the technicolor has a visible Wan port.

According the guides i am running this settings:

Asus:

Ip address: 192.168.0.1

Dhcp enabled

starting from : 192.168.0.2

ending : 192.168.0.200

Technicolor:

Ip address: 192.168.1.1

Dhcp enabled

starting from : 192.168.1.2

ending : 192.168.1.200

Both of them have the same subnet mask.

The technicolor though has in the DHCP settings a fixed network address of 192.168.1.0 and cant be changed + a DNS server with ip : 192.168.1.1 , this one though can be changed.

Both of the modems/routers have the same PPPoe settings/codes

I have no connection internet on the technicolor and the interet led is blinking red (stable green for successful connection)

I have connected the Lan 2 of the Asus to the Wan port of the technicolor.

What is my mistake?

Thank you for your understanding and sorry for my bad english.

You should not be using a PPPoE connection on your second router. It should be a "standard/automatic" Ethernet connection, or whatever that's called on the technicolor.

I have these 3 options in the Internet access section :

1) DHCP routed mode

2) PPPoE routed mode

3) Fixed IP mode

Tried the DHCP mode but didnt work also tried the PPPoe mode with PPP disabled , does this mean its not supported at all?

Last edited:
DHCP mode would seem to be the correct option. After rebooting the technicolor is the any indication of what IP address it is getting for its WAN interface? It should be something in the 192.168.0.2 - 200 range.

Last edited:
If you plug a PC/laptop into one of the other LAN ports of the Asus does it work correctly?

Yeah , flawless at the moment we speak i am using my main pc connected with an ethernet cable , tried all 4 of them and works just as good!

That should work. :confused:

Try replacing the Ethernet cable between the Asus and the technicolor's WAN port.

Swapped cables with a utp cat5 rebooted but same issue , will try again tomorrow by reseting the asus cause i reseted the technicolor more than 5 times today.... feel kinda desperate cause phone must be working but their modem/router is unnaxceptable.

This is a good resource: Cascade Routers. There is another one on SmallNetBuilder but I couldn't find it.

Is it possible the your technicolor's firmware has been customised by the provider so that the WAN port cannot be used? i.e. it can only be used with a DSL connection.

Is it possible the your technicolor's firmware has been customised by the provider so that the WAN port cannot be used? i.e. it can only be used with a DSL connection.
I have the same problem with a tp link 1600 supplied by TPG on pppoe it doesn't matter what I try it will not work.,I suspect that it is a provider lock

I start to believe the same as telephony codes are locked into it even after reset , i would just get a cheap ATA voip adapter like a Cisco spa112 but it seems that i will still need the codes that they just dont give for "security reasons".

I tried firstly a lan to lan configuration with the Asus as secondary but bandwidth limitation of course didnt work and its really critical for me and my family.
Sorry, I don't understand what this "bandwidth limitation" is when you use the Technicolor?

Bandwidth limitation is a type of QOS , i have limited most devices to 25mbps download so even if 1-2 of them are downloading the internet connection will still be responsive and suffice for everyone else + i have set to have the absolute priority anytime.

Just imagine that sometimes i see 10+ devices connected to my router , with no bandwidth limitation it will be a disaster especially for my gaming when the ping will start to spike causing lag. Asus is losing all its qos settings in a lan to lan setup as a secondary.

Also the technicolors wireless performnance is poor , i get only 9mbps from my room to the living room which is like 3 meters with a wall between! Its pathetic that they force you to actually use their junk.

Bandwidth limitation is a type of QOS , i have limited most devices to 25mbps download so even if 1-2 of them are downloading the internet connection will still be responsive and suffice for everyone else + i have set to have the absolute priority anytime.
OK. I understand.

I start to believe the same as telephony codes are locked into it even after reset , i would just get a cheap ATA voip adapter like a Cisco spa112 but it seems that i will still need the codes that they just dont give for "security reasons".
They are just pigheaded about the phone codes I sae no reason why they should not give them out but you are right they simply refuse to

I did connect them finally , just the Technicolor is the primary router and Asus the secondary. The technicolor is working only for the phone with internet access disabled and the Asus is making a connection by PPPoe.
The good news is that with the Lan to wan connection the Asus kept its Qos settings but i know that the ideal scenario would be the Asus as primary and the technicolor as secondary.

Funny thing is that the Asus even as a secondary gets lower ping and jitter than the technicolor in a wired connection!

Glad to hear you got it working. Out of interest how did you "disable" the internet on the Technicolor? Is there some sort of pass-through mode for the internet connection?