What's new

LAN <--> WAN throughput RT-AC86U (merlin 384.18)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

box4m

Occasional Visitor
Hello,

Ive been googling and searching these forums for some hour now, im probably bad at it, but i hope you dont mind me making a new thread.
I got 1000/1000 symmetric full duplex fiber today and ive been measuring, as i guess most would.

The thing i cant find info about is, what is the bidirectional throughout LAN <--> WAN on this router?
I tried running iperf3 to+from router with a wired PC in LAN, im getting 900/900 ish so the LAN ports are fine, which i guessed.

But when i run receive+send tests to internet, whatever test im doing i seem to get 1000mbit total, either its 200/800 or 800/200 etc, to me that seems abit precise thats its exactly 1000, so im thinking either some settings is wrong somewhere, or the router just cant handle more? I hope it can.
- HW Acceleration is enabled, both "runner" and "flow cache".
- Ive been checking with "ethctl eth1-5 media-type" and they all have auto-negotiate and full duplex.
- I called the ISP and they say it looks fine on their end

If the router just cant handle 1000/1000 bidirectional.... Any tips of routers that can? i prefer asusrouters that support the amazing merlin-firmware.

Hope i get some help
Thank you!

EDIT: The router-CPUs is way below 50% when doing the tests, RAM is also fine

Maybe it's nothing to do with the router. Try plugging your PC directly into your internet feed and repeating the test.

Maybe it's nothing to do with the router. Try plugging your PC directly into your internet feed and repeating the test.

I just checked when u wrote this, the tests are the same.
Maybe its as easy as cabling, im using cat 5e, is that 1000/1000 or just 1000 total?

Cat 5e is fine for 1000BASE-T (Gigabit Ethernet), and Gigabit Ethernet can do 1000 Mbps full duplex (i.e. bidirectional).

Sounds like a limitation of your ISP. They are giving 1Gbps up/down symmetrical, but not consecutive or full-duplex.