What's new

Last stable Merlin-FW-release with Wi-Fi Power-hack (AC88U)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

J.T

Occasional Visitor
Good morning,

We all did read that the latest Merlin versions are locked on increasing the Wi-Fi TX-power strength.
I am wondering which Merlin-version is the last one were it is able to adjust to 20/25db, is stable on the AC88u.

Thank you in advance.

I am wondering which Merlin-version is the last one were it is able to adjust to 20/25db, is stable on the AC88u.

Doesn't really matter what settings are in the UI - the Tx power limits are based on the regulatory zone, and once that's set - the WiFi chipsets honor it.

So even if your turn the levels to 11, the Broadcom wifi chips will accept that (say yes) and go with their pre-programmed values... which are likely less that you set it for.

This is nothing new - it's been that way for about 3 years now...

Good morning,

We all did read that the latest Merlin versions are locked on increasing the Wi-Fi TX-power strength.

None. The first RT-AC88U release came within the new regulations, so power output was already locked to what is available for your router's region.

None. The first RT-AC88U release came within the new regulations, so power output was already locked to what is available for your router's region.

That's clear. Thank you. It seems that I have currently the stock 2345 driver on my Router. Do you know if that one could be altered with a script or so to boost the wi-fi signal?

I have been doing some reading the last few days and so far people report issues with the last official firmware (3941), the 3341 version as well. A variation of issues from dropping 5ghz-signals, complete signal, issues with connecting to networkshares, portforwarding or even wifi-clients (smartphones/printers) and the list goes on and one.

I found even a topic that people went back to the stock firmware (2345). On the Merlin-firmware I read different things. Some people say that the 358.61 is stable, others say it causes issues with the wi-fi and even connection drop outs.

I am kinda uncertain wich firmware to flash now on the AC88u. I might use this wisedom : If it ain't broken, don't fix it. I noticed some security-patches after the 2345 firmware, but most of them are man in the middle-attacks / attacks where the bad-guy needs to be on my network first to apply it. And to be fair, where I live, I don't expect to see Mr.Robot sitting in front of my house doing his magic.

Last edited:
That's clear. Thank you. It seems that I have currently the stock 2345 driver on my Router. Do you know if that one could be altered with a script or so to boost the wi-fi signal?

You can't. These are locked for legal reasons, and cannot be modified by end users.

I found even a topic that people went back to the stock firmware (2345). On the Merlin-firmware I read different things. Some people say that the 358.61 is stable, others say it causes issues with the wi-fi and even connection drop outs.

I'd say the majority of wifi-related complains come from the user's own network (either outside interference, or their wifi clients). Very few are actually caused by the wireless driver itself (and I see a lot of placebo posts, both ways). Broadcom's basic 802.11ac code is very mature by now, as long you don't use fancy bleeding edge features such as MU-MIMO or NitroQAM.

I use an RT-AC88U as my primary router myself. I had over 30 days of uptime on 380.60 code with zero wifi issues. Still as stable with the 380.62 development code (same driver as 380.61). I recently streamed a 2 hours Youtube concert to my Chromecast without a single glitch.

You can't. These are locked for legal reasons, and cannot be modified by end users.

I'd say the majority of wifi-related complains come from the user's own network (either outside interference, or their wifi clients). Very few are actually caused by the wireless driver itself (and I see a lot of placebo posts, both ways). Broadcom's basic 802.11ac code is very mature by now, as long you don't use fancy bleeding edge features such as MU-MIMO or NitroQAM.

I use an RT-AC88U as my primary router myself. I had over 30 days of uptime on 380.60 code with zero wifi issues. Still as stable with the 380.62 development code (same driver as 380.61). I recently streamed a 2 hours Youtube concert to my Chromecast without a single glitch.

Thank you. On wich stock-firmware is the 380.61 code based? (3341) ? nvm found it : Merged with Asus GPL 380_3831 :D

Last edited:
Thank you. On wich stock-firmware is the 380.61 code based? (3341) ? nvm found it : Merged with Asus GPL 380_3831 :D

Correct. That means that the WAN code is from 3831 (so, the issues from 3341 are fixed based on the received feedback during beta), and the wireless driver for the RT-AC88U is from 3341.

Correct. That means that the WAN code is from 3831 (so, the issues from 3341 are fixed based on the received feedback during beta), and the wireless driver for the RT-AC88U is from 3341.
Does this one include the last blue-tooth fix etc from the 3941 version and the security patches (samba man in the middle attacks) from the 3341 ?

My Samba version was patched months before Asus (we use different versions, so I keep it patched separately from them).

https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-merlin/blob/master/Changelog.txt#L115

The bluetooth coexistence setting is there, but I'm not 100% sure if it works or not.

oh, hahhaha. And what about the empty-networkshare? Is it fixed in380.61 or 380.62? When closing it and reopening it shows again? Or is a complete reboot required. I have a QNAP NAS, I kinda need my shares :D

oh, hahhaha. And what about the empty-networkshare? Is it fixed in380.61 or 380.62? When closing it and reopening it shows again? Or is a complete reboot required. I have a QNAP NAS, I kinda need my shares :D

I've never heard about such an issue. This sounds more like a network issue than a firmware issue.

I've never heard about such an issue. This sounds more like a network issue than a firmware issue.

You named it in the change log

Asuswrt-Merlin 380.61 is now available, for all supported models.

This is the first official release that supports Asus's new firmware format. This means that you can directly flash this version on top of Asus's 3.0.0.4.380_3xxx and newer. Reverting to an older version will require putting your router in firmware recovery mode.

The most important changes since 380.59:

• Compatible with the new firmware header format.
  • Merged with Asus GPL 380_3831.
  • Updated OpenVPN to 2.3.11 and Dropbear to 2016.74.
  • Fixes to OpenVPN's status report
  • Reverted a lot of Asus's customizations to minidlna, to resolve various stability issues

There is one known issue at this time where, for a few users, the networkmap comes up empty. I've been unable to reproduce the problem, and people reported similar issues with the stock firmware, so I'll let Asus take care of that one. This should not impair the router's functionality or it's stability.

Please review the changelog for the complete list of changes.

Also please view this post regarding some changes regarding development on this project.

Downloads are here.
Changelog is here.

You named it in the change log
No he didn't. You were discussing Samba and then mentioned "empty-networkshare" and "I have a QNAP NAS, I kinda need my shares", so you were talking about a Samba issue. The changelog refers to an empty "networkmap", that's something completely different.

The networkmap is the list of clients shown on the router's web interface, it has nothing to do with Samba nor with Windows file sharing.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!