What's new

Latest firmware on RT-AC5300 messed up Chamberlin garage door connection

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

BANsOnLn

Occasional Visitor
FYI... After I updated to the latest firmware (380.66_6) I lost connection with my garage door opener on 2.4GHz. I tried resetting wifi on the opener and could never connect. After downgrading to 380.65_4 everything worked fine again.

FYI... After I updated to the latest firmware (380.66_6) I lost connection with my garage door opener on 2.4GHz. I tried resetting wifi on the opener and could never connect. After downgrading to 380.65_4 everything worked fine again.

Fwiw, using the 380.67 beta 1 and 2 on my asus rt-ac3100 (rev a5), no problems with my chamberlain garage door opener with built in wifi.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

87U, 67A2 seems to work with my Chamberlain with the home gateway box (mine isn't builtin wifi). IIRC, worked ok with 66_4.

Bumping this since I may have some info that someone like Merlin may be able to use in order to diagnose root cause.

I have an RT-AC88U running stock firmware and a Chamberlain HD950WF opener. I've discovered that on the ASUS, firmware 3.0.0.4.380_7743 is the newest that can be used in order for the opener to maintain a stable connection. I've now tried both of the newer firmware releases, and with each of them, the opener will disconnect within a few hours and then not reconnect. Rebooting the router, restoring it to factory defaults, and resetting the opener's WiFi memory will sometimes allow me to reconnect, but again only for a few hours. Rolling the router back to firmware 3.0.0.4.380_7743 immediately restores a stable connection.

Despite the temptation to blame the router since that's what's changing here, given that WiFi is a core competency for ASUS and Broadcom with the router, whereas it's just an add-on for a garage door opener, AND that no other devices have a problem with the newer router firmware, I suspect the problem is with the opener. I've reached out to Chamberlain support, but I'm not optimistic they'll be sufficiently competent or even interested to dig into this -- so I'm hoping that someone like Merlin may be able to identify what might have changed between 3.0.0.4.380_7743 and the subsequent release 3.0.0.4.382.15850 that might account for this. If I can point Chamberlain in the right direction, they may be more inclined to do something about it. I'm not thrilled about being stuck at older router firmware when both of the newer releases contain security fixes.

Just as background, the Chamberlain only uses 2.4 GHz WiFi (not sure which standards it supports), and these are the only settings I remember changing on the router from defaults, although these were kept consistent between the working and non-working firmware releases:
Channel bandwidth: 20 MHz
Wireless scheduler: Disabled
IGMP Snooping: Enabled

Bumping this since I may have some info that someone like Merlin may be able to use in order to diagnose root cause.

I have an RT-AC88U running stock firmware and a Chamberlain HD950WF opener. I've discovered that on the ASUS, firmware 3.0.0.4.380_7743 is the newest that can be used in order for the opener to maintain a stable connection. I've now tried both of the newer firmware releases, and with each of them, the opener will disconnect within a few hours and then not reconnect. Rebooting the router, restoring it to factory defaults, and resetting the opener's WiFi memory will sometimes allow me to reconnect, but again only for a few hours. Rolling the router back to firmware 3.0.0.4.380_7743 immediately restores a stable connection.

Despite the temptation to blame the router since that's what's changing here, given that WiFi is a core competency for ASUS and Broadcom with the router, whereas it's just an add-on for a garage door opener, AND that no other devices have a problem with the newer router firmware, I suspect the problem is with the opener. I've reached out to Chamberlain support, but I'm not optimistic they'll be sufficiently competent or even interested to dig into this -- so I'm hoping that someone like Merlin may be able to identify what might have changed between 3.0.0.4.380_7743 and the subsequent release 3.0.0.4.382.15850 that might account for this. If I can point Chamberlain in the right direction, they may be more inclined to do something about it. I'm not thrilled about being stuck at older router firmware when both of the newer releases contain security fixes.

Just as background, the Chamberlain only uses 2.4 GHz WiFi (not sure which standards it supports), and these are the only settings I remember changing on the router from defaults, although these were kept consistent between the working and non-working firmware releases:
Channel bandwidth: 20 MHz
Wireless scheduler: Disabled
IGMP Snooping: Enabled
Have you tried playing around the "wireless professional" tab? Disable "airtime fairness" is first to try then move to others until you find what works or not.

I'm not familiar with 88U's firmware but let me ask you, did the problem occur when ASUS fixed the KRACK problem? If so, you need to talk to Chamberlain they might have to update their wireless drivers.

Last edited:
Have you tried playing around the "wireless professional" tab? Disable "airtime fairness" is first to try then move to others until you find what works or not.

I'm not familiar with 88U's firmware but let me ask you, did the problem occur when ASUS fixed the KRACK problem? If so, you need to talk to Chamberlain they might have to update their wireless drivers.

Thanks for the quick response. The oldest firmware that doesn't work with the opener was released in late August, which I believe predates KRACK. However, I just looked up the lone CVE that was fixed in that firmware version, and it pertains to the "Broadpwn" vulnerability. I remember hearing about that, but never looked into the details. I sort of figured that this would require an update from Chamberlain; I just figured people here might be able to say, "Tell the Chamberlain people to focus on this aspect of the changes from the working firmware to the first broken one." This also makes me wonder what the hell Chamberlain's tech is doing differently from seemingly everyone else, unless there are a lot more reports of dead WiFi after updating to these newer firmware versions.

I hadn't yet resorted to tinkering around with the Professional tab since I already have my settings the way I like them, so even if that improved things, I would consider that a workaround rather than a solution, but if I don't get anywhere with Chamberlain, I may decide to do that rather than staying on firmware with known security vulnerabilities.

Just for the record, did you check, with for example, InSSider, the WiFi signal strengths at the garage door and if there were any interfering broadcasts?

Just for the record, did you check, with for example, InSSider, the WiFi signal strengths at the garage door and if there were any interfering broadcasts?

I did, and that's not the issue. My home's layout means the opener (which only uses 2.4 GHz) is maybe 20 feet from the router, and I can get even a 5 GHz signal from quite a ways outside of my house thanks to my 88U. There are only about 3 other WiFi networks that are visible from my garage.

Just wondering if there is any solution to this problem.

I recently upgraded from 68u to 86u, and now I am having the same problem with my chamberlain garage hub. I did try the airtime fairness with no help.

I just updated my RT-AC68U router to firmware 384.12 and am having issues connecting to my chamberlain garage door.

Any suggestions on what might help?

bump. my Chamberlain garage door opener (MyQ) wont work with my RT-AC66U either.

I ended up reverting to stock firmware, which fixed the issue. I know the RT-AC66U is no longer supported, but I'd like to go back to Asus-Merlin once I upgrade my router.

I have no problems with MyQ. In my setup the controller is plugged by Ethernet cable into a LAN port on the router. Have used all recent versions of Merlin and the controller is running fine on 84_13 on an AC1900P. Also no issues running on an AC86. I have also had no issues running on legacy Merlin on a N66.

I have assigned the MyQ controller a static/sticky IP. I also run it through a VPN tunnel on my IoT network.

Try again rebooting and power cycling hardware as you go.

Two here, one with the hub wired, the other wireless. The openers are about 40 feet from the controller/router. The app has changed recently.

No issues on .13 with my 87U.

I am experiencing the same problem - MyQ Liftmaster garage opener won’t connect to WiFi, RT-AC87U on 384.13.

I am experiencing the same problem - MyQ Liftmaster garage opener won’t connect to WiFi, RT-AC87U on 384.13.
I am on the latest alpha and my Chamberlain garage door openers works fine. Have you tried setting the unit (garage unit) back up from scratch?

I am on the latest alpha and my Chamberlain garage door openers works fine. Have you tried setting the unit (garage unit) back up from scratch?

I certainly cleared the Wi-Fi settings and followed the trouble shooting steps on their website (doing a “reset” on the actual garage motor unit rather than just on the garage door opener button).

Your suggestion is to try a factory reset - I’ve googled but have had a hard time finding out how to do that. I will attempt that and see if it helps things.

Your suggestion is to try a factory reset - I’ve googled but have had a hard time finding out how to do that. I will attempt that and see if it helps things.
Here are 2 guides to the factory reset written by trusted networking professionals, and followed by users who want to do the job once and not have problems later. If you follow to the letter (other than skipping the flashing of new firmware, unless you want to reflash your existing firmware, which may well be a good idea, assuming your current firmware is the latest one) then you won’t go wrong.

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/n...l-and-manual-configuration.27115/#post-205573

https://x3mtek.com/asuswrt-merlin-firmware-upgrade/

(For myself, I use the first one, L&LD’s Manual and Minimal setup.)

Last edited:
Here are 2 guides to the factory reset written by trusted networking professionals, and followed by users who want to do the job once and not have problems later. If you follow to the letter (other than skipping the flashing of new firmware, unless you want to reflash your existing firmware, which may well be a good idea, assuming your current firmware is the latest one) then you won’t go wrong.

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/n...l-and-manual-configuration.27115/#post-205573

https://x3mtek.com/asuswrt-merlin-firmware-upgrade/

(For myself, I use the first one, L&LD’s Manual and Minimal setup.)

thank you for the link - a useful reference I’m sure to keep! But I was referencing factory resetting the GARAGE door open... the router was recently reset and upgraded to 384.13_1, and it’s been humming a long except for connecting to this garage door unit!

thank you for the link - a useful reference I’m sure to keep! But I was referencing factory resetting the GARAGE door open... the router was recently reset and upgraded to 384.13_1, and it’s been humming a long except for connecting to this garage door unit!
my fault. Anyway, L&LD and xentrk got some free advertising out of it.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!