What's new

Latest version ?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

gandalf999

New Around Here
Hi All

What is the latest Asus firmware that you can flash with merlin ?
I know the newest Asus Firmware is 3.0.0.4.378.9177 but if I flash Merlin over this version what will I lose ?

Hi All

I know the newest Asus Firmware is 3.0.0.4.378.9177 but if I flash Merlin over this version what will I lose ?

Welcome.

What will you lose? What will you gain!

I'll assume you've already checked that there is a Merlin firmware version for your router eg it's not a DSL version. I believe the version of Asus firmware you are currently running is of no consequence because it becomes history when you flash it over with a different firmware.

You could look at the changelog of the stock firmware and compare with Merlin's. Is there a specific reason you are currently running the stock firmware rather than Merlin's? If not, upgrade to Merlin, sit back and enjoy.

Cheers martinr
I have an RT-AC87U, I haven't taken it out of the box yet. It only arrived this afternoon, So I don't know what firmware its got yet.
I have had a look at the latest Asus firmware and the only thing that looks helpful is - Updated the 5G chipset driver to stabilize 5GHz connection.
The official firmware still doesn't appear to have a name field on the DHCP reservation list so Merlin here I come.

I expect you're so keen to get going that the last thing you want to do is get bogged down reading instructions :) so just remember you must reset (restore) the router to factory default settings AFTER flashing with Merlin's firmware. Thereafter, go and alter settings as you wish.

Merlin's info on restoring to factory default settings at

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/faq-nvram-and-factory-default-reset.22822/

Advice to reboot the router immediately before flashing was given today in

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/from-tomato-to-merlin-or-merlin-fork.27412/

Restoring to factory default settings and then reinstating your own settings (or using John's utility to automate it) is also a great way to cure glitches, rare as they are - like reinstalling Windows after it goes awry, but with infinitely less hassle.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Hi All

This is what I lost on my RT-AC68u
1. Merlin's DNS filter feature in AiProtection.
2. Overclocking
3. Tools
4. Traffic Analyzer
5. Merlin's Wireless log UI

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!