What's new

Life after RT-N66U -> isp router + Unifi or another Asus device

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

plex

Occasional Visitor
Hi

I have 100 Mbit cable, and my old RT-N66U is doing just great - very stable, long range, and 300 Mbit connection speed on 5 Ghz.

Since my ISP is upgrading to 500 Mbit and later 1 Gbits, I want better wireless performance - need it or not :D

I consider to use the router from my ISP in combination with an AP. Unify UAP AC Pro looks great on the paper, however rumors tells that Unifi is not a speed devil, but an AP being able to serve many users at the same time. I only have about 20 wiresless clients, so I don't need anything with the possibility to handle 200 users.

Another AP could be the Xclaim Xi-3 - seems to be a little old, with only 2x2 mimo. I've testet it shortly, and couldn't beat the old RT-N66U in terms of speed or range. Maybe a faulty setup, or old firmware - I don't know. I had lover connection speed with my brand new Macbook, compared to the old non AC Asus. The Xi-3 is twice the price of the Unifi pro here!

The third solution could be a new Asus router... However I think Asus have so many models, so it's hard to choose. The RT-AC68U seems to be a good choice?

Any hints are very welcome