What's new

Limit of Wifi Connections / Devices - AC86U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

sknetwork

New Around Here
After searching, I'm finding answers all over the board, and was hoping to help get some advice on how many devices (2.4 and 5GHz) that can connect to an AC86U router.

I have nearly 30 wifi devices, most of which are home automation or IoT related. However, after about 20 connections, I start having issues connecting additional devices without disconnecting devices first. Then, if those devices are brought back online, I find maintaining connections can be spotty.

On the other end of my house, I have an AC66 connected via ethernet that is set up in AP mode. However, most devices are located within range of the AC86U. Over the entire house, I'd say 40% are 5GHz and 60% are 2.4GHz. I am fairly rural, so no real issues with neighbors or busy spectrum outside of my own house.

Is there are limit per AP? Should I put another AP in close proximity to the AC86U in order to handle more devices? Or, should I look at a non-Asus solution if I need 30-50+ wifi connections per AP? Am I just expecting too much out of the AC86U?

Consumer routers have a pretty hard limit of around 30 to 32 devices per radio/band. :)

Commercial units may boast 250 client support, but in reality, is closer to 100 or slightly over. ;)

Consumer routers have a pretty hard limit of around 30 to 32 devices per radio/band. :)

Commercial units may boast 250 client support, but in reality, is closer to 100 or slightly over. ;)
So, if I put another Asus router in either AP or AIMesh mode, let's say 25 ft away, would that help? Or, am I better off going to a commercial quality unit? I've got about a week left on my return window, so trying to decide if the AC86U is worth keeping or not.

It really depends on what you IoT devices you are using. Many don't use much data. For instance for the seventeen days this month here is what some devices use:

Indoor Security Camera 3.23 MB
Thermostat 1.68 MB
Garage Door Monitor 10.28KB
Wifi Controlled Switch 3,56 KB

Of your devices how many are normally on line at the same time and what are they doing? Multiple devices streaming video will bog down your network but IoT devices probably won't.

If I were you by band steering and creatively distributing connected devices between the router and your AP you should not being having problems. Force devices to connect to either the router or the AP by making them forget the SSID and password for all except the radio you want them to connect to. If for certain devices you want them to roam between the router and the AP create an SSID and password that is the same on both. You can use guest networks if necessary because if you allow access to the intranet there isn't any difference between that guest network and your primary WiFi SSID as far as privileges.

While if you are running Merlin's firmware you in theory could create up to eight SSIDs per router this will have an impact on performance. It will also get you kicked out of the good neighbor club if you are running that many SSIDs on two channels.

Aimesh mode or AP, they both will get IPs from DHCP on master router, I think it wont help for your issues.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!