What's new

Limited wireless speed on rt-ac87u

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jtm

New Around Here
Hi all. I have the rt-ac87u with latest wrt-merlin. I am getting over 200 Mbps on Ethernet directly from router. However my WiFi is limited to around 90 Mbps on 5 GHz and 50 on 2.4 ghz . My guest login (2.4) is only getting about 25 Mbps. This holds across multiple devices. I have tried changing settings from default to the settings here https://www.rickygao.com.au/blog/tuning-the-asus-wireless-router-to-best-performance/

I have also tried tampering with each these settings individually and I can't get past these speed limits. This is frustrating as this router should be capable of faster speeds.

Is this type of wireless speed drop just normal?
If not how might I go about trouble shooting this?

Looking at your blog there's a obvious issue there, ASUSWRT supports VLAN.

About the specified issue, do you see it happening in all those FWs?

Hi all. I have the rt-ac87u with latest wrt-merlin. I am getting over 200 Mbps on Ethernet directly from router. However my WiFi is limited to around 90 Mbps on 5 GHz and 50 on 2.4 ghz . My guest login (2.4) is only getting about 25 Mbps. This holds across multiple devices.
What is the link speed you get with the devices? Only 25 Mbps?

On my AC87U I get up to 886 Mbps links speed and full Internet speed (up to 150 Mbps) on wireless devices.

Last edited:
Indeed, what FW version was the test done?

Other questions: How are you performing the speed tests? And what are you clients actually capable of?