What's new

Link Aggregation / Port Teaming in the R7800?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Synomenon

Regular Contributor
Is the R7800 capable of link aggregation (I think it was called "port teaming" on my old Asus router)?

If it isn't what recent model router available now has this feature?

Is the R7800 capable of link aggregation (I think it was called "port teaming" on my old Asus router)?

If it isn't what recent model router available now has this feature?
Unfortunately not. From Netgear only the X8 R8500 supports link aggregation.

Hmmm... So I have to return this R7800 and choose between the R8500, Asus 5300 or 88U.

Last edited:
Or perhaps - just pick up a managed switch and do it downstream...

Asus wasn't, and isn't, very good at it with their consumer grade router/AP's...

So I'm pretty new to this. How does that work if the router doesn't have that functionality built in (combining two ports for twice the bandwidth)?

Does Netgear make any switches with 8 ports or less that can do this?

Last edited:
Great. How do you setup aggregation between the GS108T and the R7800 so that I can connect both ports from something like a QNAS TS-251 and get that 2gbps connection?

As garethr posted, the R7800 does not support link aggregation, the only current Netgear product with link aggregation support is the R8500

However, if the QNAS supports 802.3ad, link aggregation can be configured between the GS108T and QNAS

Confused. What's the point of link aggregation between the NAS and GS108T if there isn't a 2gbps connection between the R7800 and the GS108T?

Confused. What's the point of link aggregation between the NAS and GS108T if there isn't a 2gbps connection between the R7800 and the GS108T?
If you use the GS108T as your main switch rather than the R7800 then your wired network would benefit from the link aggregation. Traffic to the R7800 would only be WAN or wireless traffic where you'd probably see no usable benefit from the link aggregation anyway.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!