What's new

Linksys Announces First Contiguous 160 MHz Router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

thiggins

Mr. Easy
Staff member
linksys-li-WRT3200ACM-10.jpg
Linksys today announced the WRT3200ACM, the latest in the company’s line of WRT routers. The WRT 3200ACM is a simultaneous dual-band MU-MIMO router that is the first to support contiguous 160 MHz bandwidth channels in 5 GHz.

Because 160 MHz bandwidth uses eight 5 GHz channels--typically all that are available in the U.S.--the WRT3200ACM is certified to also use the DFS channels normally unavailable for use because they are also used for radar applications. This expands the number of available 5 GHz channels from 8 to 24, greatly enhancing channel selection flexibility.

Like Linksys' other WRT routers, the WRT3200ACM is Marvell based, using a three-stream (3x3) design for both 2.4 and 5 GHz bands. Both radios support 256 QAM, giving the 2.4 GHz radio 600 Mbps maximum link rate in 40 MHz bandwidth mode. The 5 GHz radio's maximum link rate is 2600 Mbps when 160 MHz bandwidth mode is in use. This results in the product's "AC3200" designation, which unfortunately will be confused with "tri-band" AC3200 class products that have two 5 GHz radios.

The router also has a third radio that supports Bluetooth and 5 GHz receive. It is used to monitor 5 GHz, allowing faster reuse of DFS channels when radar is detected.

Other hardware details include a 1.8 GHz dual-core ARM CPU, 256 MB flash and 512 MB DDR3 RAM. Wired interfaces on the new router include a built-in four port Gigabit LAN switch, one Gigabit WAN connection, an eSATA/USB 2.0 port, and one USB 3.0 port.

Features include built-in media and FTP servers, OpenVPN support, media/bandwidth QoS prioritization, parental controls, built-in speed test and support for DDNS services such as No-IP, DynDNS and TZO.

The WRTAC3200ACM is also open source ready, supporting OpenWRT's "Chaos Calmer" 15.05 branch and also DD-WRT.

The Linksys WRT3200ACM lists for $279.99 and can be pre-ordered today at Linksys.com and Amazon, with general availability following next week.

Great price for that level of hardware! And, it will only get lower!

Will be waiting for the SNB performance review, but am more keen on what Asus will release that will compete with this, tbh.

that is the first to support contiguous 160 MHz bandwidth channels in 5 GHz

I guess history is repeating itself: any word on client availability for 160 MHz support?

Would love to read the review on the WRT3200ACM when SNB gets their hands on one. :)

This results in the product's "AC3200" designation, which unfortunately will be confused with "tri-band" AC3200 class products that have two 5 GHz radios.

yup that has to one of those dumbest moments of the year things for linksys , why would they intentionally add to the confusion rather than make a point of difference in its naming , i know its the biggest number they have to play with but just doesnt make any sense

Would love to read the review on the WRT3200ACM when SNB gets their hands on one.

with the new testing method i think linksys would be pretty underwhelmed with the results as the test bed rig only does 2 x 2 :)

yup that has to one of those dumbest moments of the year things for linksys , why would they intentionally add to the confusion rather than make a point of difference in its naming , i know its the biggest number they have to play with but just doesnt make any sense

The whole marketing number system has been broken for a very long time...

The whole marketing number system has been broken for a very long time...

and here was linksys chance to make a point of difference esp since this is a new class of wireless , surprised they didnt call it the 3800 class or at least something to distinguish it from the tri band 3200 class

From Lynksys website:

“DFS CERTIFIED: Dynamic frequency selection (DFS) certification from the FCC not only allows operation at 160MHz enabling Tri-Stream160, but it also triples the channels available at 80MHz, so your router can operate in the clearest airspace that other Wi-Fi routers aren't allowed.”

Would this be make this the best wireless router in an area saturated with 5 GHz wireless networks?

I live in a densely populated area of Seattle where I can see between 40 and 45 wireless networks with good reception with my iPhone and Dell XP 13 laptop. I’m currently using an Apple AirPort Extreme, but in the past few months I’ve been forced to reboot it several times a week so the AirPort can pick a new channel in the 5 GHz range, because my Internet speeds dropped from 100 Mbps up and down to less than 5 Mbps each way. Apparently the AirPort Extreme will only scan for the least congested channel on powering up (https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7040965?start=0&tstart=0) and therefore been reading a lot articles here and Small Net Builder and this WRT3200ACM from Linksys appears to be the most promising for my situation. Unfortunately, I’m not find any articles on choosing a wireless router in areas with saturated wireless networks. Thoughts?

The 11ac Airport Extreme's support DFS just fine in 5GHz, and they dynamically retune on the fly (if set to auto) - the person over on the Apple Support forum is misinformed...

Check your drivers on the Dell...

Thanks sfx2000. Interesting that the AirPort Extreme (latest generation with AC) supports DFS. I’ll double check it’s set to auto. I’ll check for driver and firmware updates from Dell for my laptop, but I’m also getting extremely slow Internet speeds on my iPhone 6 Plus with the 5 GHz and a reboot of the AirPort solves it for an hour to a few days.

Thanks sfx2000. Interesting that the AirPort Extreme (latest generation with AC) supports DFS. I’ll double check it’s set to auto. I’ll check for driver and firmware updates from Dell for my laptop, but I’m also getting extremely slow Internet speeds on my iPhone 6 Plus with the 5 GHz and a reboot of the AirPort solves it for an hour to a few days

Open a new thread, and discuss there - this is off-topic for the WRT-3200 device announcement thread.

Interesting that they did not mention MU in the product announcement...

Which might be for the best - they're "going wide" to get bigger numbers... but I was kinda looking forward to seeing how Marvell deals with the MU challenges, as we know QCA has sorted it, and Broadcom is trying...

with the new testing method i think linksys would be pretty underwhelmed with the results as the test bed rig only does 2 x 2
I test maximum throughput with the Veriwave, which can do up to 4x4, but not 1024QAM or 160MHz channels.

Linksys sent two for the max throughput test.

Interesting that they did not mention MU in the product announcement.
"Linksys today announced the WRT3200ACM, the latest in the company’s line of WRT routers. The WRT 3200ACM is a simultaneous dual-band MU-MIMO router that is the first to support contiguous 160 MHz bandwidth channels in 5 GHz"

What are you looking for from this router?
If you don't mind I can pitch in here as well with my wishes for the router.

Currently I have the WRT1900AC and it has worked great so far. I use only the 5Ghz network for all my devices which is about a handfull. I am very curious how the new WRT3200ACM will compare to the WRT1900AC.

Better/faster WiFi would be nice to have and hopefully the WRT3200ACM could fill that spot and my old router would become a wireless bridge.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!