What's new

Linksys E3000 upgrade advice....

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Steve40th

Regular Contributor
First post, longtime unregistered viewer.
I have had this router since 2010, and now have more devices using it. Netflix is the big one, as my daughter uses her X Box to watch movies via WiFi. The router is upstairs in a room, usually door is shut.. I have Comcast Boost which is pretty good at 30Mbs, technically.
My laptop has a Intel Centrino Ultra 6300AGN Wifi chip, and my wife has a newer laptop with Windows 8, but is mostly for email etc.
I also have 3 iphone 5's running wifi within the home, and one Blueray that does Netflix.
So, my router gets some usage.
I looked at the Asus N66 and Ac66?
Which do you recommend?

Perhaps nothing... if everything is working fine, leave it alone...

Not sure if I would recommend picking up an Asus device if you're currently on Linksys...

Asus is good hardware, but one runs the risk of a constant rat-hole of bugs, upgrades and questions...

Good sign is that this site is the home of one of the good guys that fixes most of Asus' bugs...

If you check the online store over at Linksys.com, they've got some pretty good deals on the EA6300 and EA6500 - which might be a better choice if you're looking for a drop-in replacement..

The best thing you can do to improve your network is have some network drops put in and reduce your wireless load. Everything will run better.

I am still thinking to upgrade to an AC router.. Just need one that will penetrate the room door better than what the E3000 does, as it drops in half when in my kitchen.

You may just have to try one. Buy it so you can send it back if it is not better or what you want. It's possible you may need 2 wireless devices. I think a lot of people are falling into this boat because of the increasing surrounding wireless networks are creating a lot of noise which cuts the distance for your wireless. I would still look at moving your BlueRay and maybe Xbox over to a wired connection.

You may just have to try one. Buy it so you can send it back if it is not better or what you want. It's possible you may need 2 wireless devices. I think a lot of people are falling into this boat because of the increasing surrounding wireless networks are creating a lot of noise which cuts the distance for your wireless. I would still look at moving your BlueRay and maybe Xbox over to a wired connection.
Blue Ray cant be wired, its in a position above fireplace, fake one, and there is no internal access to the area.
Xbox I need to put a drop in through ceiling, down wall and into bedroom.
House isnt wireless friendly or very accessible. maybe I can get Comcast to change cable connection to above fireplace as they have the cable connection there for the cable box, but I was told he could not put modem there.

How about a homeplug connection. It feeds an Ethernet connection through the wall plugs. Much faster than wireless.

How about a homeplug connection. It feeds an Ethernet connection through the wall plugs. Much faster than wireless.
I thought of that. But now I just thought about splitting the cable tv box to allow a modem to run off of it too. I think I need to research that... If I can put the modem in my living room, I will be within 15 feet of router at all times, if I can get it to work. Might need to start another thread.

Or perhaps MoCA.. in any event, the location where the TV is presents a challenge - nobody likes wires hanging about, but Velcro and smart connections make the most of it..

Or perhaps MoCA.. in any event, the location where the TV is presents a challenge - nobody likes wires hanging about, but Velcro and smart connections make the most of it..
TV is inside a big box in the wall. And below it is where the cable box and blue ray players are. Plenty of room to hide everything behind tv etc. My cats go up in there and hide sometimes. I can fit up in there. The tv is a 46 inch and it fills the gap left to right, but there is a shelf underneath it too.
MoCa?