What's new

Linksys E4200 issue

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mbushnell

New Around Here
Lurker here, decided to sign up and see if someone might have some feedback on the issue I'm having with my new Linksys E4200 that I just got yesterday. When I was first hooking it up, I noticed the following message in the instruction manual:

Indicator light—Stays on steadily while power is connected and
following a successful Wi-Fi Protected Setup connection. Pulses slowly
during bootup, during firmware upgrades, and during a Wi-Fi Protected
Setup connection. Flashes quickly when there is a Wi-Fi Protected Setup
error.

Based on this, I assumed that if the router is functioning properly that the big CISCO symbol on the front will stay solid unless there is a problem. However, I have noticed that every so often it will start slowly pulsing and then start flashing quickly. The light will then go back to solid. Rinse and repeat. As far as I can tell everything is functioning properly. I've got at least 8 devices on the network via both ethernet and wireless. They all are functioning properly even while the light is flashing. I am just curious if this is normal or if I have a problem that I'm not aware of. Any help would be great. I shot a short video of the flashing so that you could see what I'm talking about. It takes about 3 minutes from the start of flashing to going back solid...

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3129245/IMG_0139.MOV

Yep. The router says it has firmware 1.0.01 and that is what is listed on the Linksys website as the latest firmware.

Cisco's pro series (not Linksys) has an LED that blinks when there are no active clients. When one or more go active, the LED goes steady. A client going active can be non-person traffic such as network management, DHCP renewal, ARPs from other nodes powering up, etc.

Thanks for the info. Not sure if this is something similar or not, but as long as I'm not seeing any performance issues I'm inclined to just let it be. I may just take a piece of black electrical tape and cover it up.

Seems to be a sort of common issue. It says that it does that when theres an error, so it could be some error happening, but you have no clue what it is. I've had mine for a couple weeks now and havent had that or any other problems.

My guess is if its a glitch, it'll be fixed in a firmware update.

Just wanted to post a followup and say that it stopped blinking finally. Originally, I had both the 5ghz and 2.4ghz networks using the same name. However, I needed to name them differently because some of my equipment wasn't playing nice with them both being named the same. Once I gave each network a different name it stopped blinking almost immediately. Obviously, this evidence is anecdotal, but it is curious that it stopped blinking right after I reset the router and renamed the networks. At any rate, it seems to be working perfectly (and by perfectly, I mean much better than the airport extreme that it replaced).

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!