What's new

Linksys WRT 1200AC Gigabit Ethernet Speed Mac OS X

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Alper

New Around Here
Hi I can Make File Transfer cable with Gigabit Ethernet Windows 10

2.8 GB File

80-90MB/S

But I wired cable Mac Mini MAC OS X El Capitan

2.8 GB File
50-65 MB/S

Where is the diffrence ? How Can I Gigabit Ethernet this Solution ?

İs This Normal ? Windows 10 Speed gigabit Mac OS X More Slow Gigabit Ethernet file transfer ? ? ?

Thankyou.

transferring/copying to/from what to what? An attached disk to the WRT or a NAS/Fileserver?

SMB/CIFS has always been faster on Windows, esp. since Apple moved away from Samba client towards their own in-house implementation...

There's a ton of variables involved. I'm not sure what version of SMB protocol the WRT is running but OS X normally negotiates V1 for me whereas Windows is up to like V3 now. If you want to get full speed out of OS X, you'd have to use AFP and even that is becoming problematic in El Capitan.

There's a ton of variables involved. I'm not sure what version of SMB protocol the WRT is running but OS X normally negotiates V1 for me whereas Windows is up to like V3 now. If you want to get full speed out of OS X, you'd have to use AFP and even that is becoming problematic in El Capitan.

The vast majority of routers out there are still running Samba 3.0.xx, which means SMBv1 only.

I experimented with SMBv2 on my firmware, and it actually reduced performance, since the current bottleneck is the CPU, not the network.

Yep. If I had to guess, I'd say the WRT1900Ac is running Samba 3.x as well.

Yep. If I had to guess, I'd say the WRT1900Ac is running Samba 3.x as well.

Probably worse than 3.x, it's quite likely as old as 3.0 or 3.2. Samba 3.6 has SMB2 support (this is the version hat I use).

My QNAP NAS is running Samba 3.6.25 finally after waiting for a couple of years to get it.

Interestingly enough... if your Samba host supports SMB3, worthwhile to give it a try... (my QNAP TS-435Pro on QTS 4.2.0 does)

10.11 (El Capitan) supports SMB 3.0 natively - from OS X El Capitan Core Technologies Overview

SMB3

SMB3 is the default protocol for sharing files in OS X El Capitan. SMB3 helps protect against tampering and eavesdropping by encrypting and signing data “in flight.”
  • Encryption. SMB3 provides end-to-end encryption to protect data and secure communication on untrusted networks. SMB3 in El Capitan uses AES-CCM for encryption to ensure communications between client and server are private.
  • Signing. To guard against tampering, SMB3 adds a signature to every packet transmitted over the wire. SMB3 uses AES-CMAC to validate the integrity of the signature, ensuring the packets have not been intercepted, changed, or replayed and that communication between hosts is authenticated and authorized.
  • Power. Encryption and signing of SMB3 connections are fast and power efficient.
  • Both AES-CCM for encryption and AES-CMAC for signing are dramatically accelerated on modern Intel CPUs with AES instruction support. (ed. this means Haswell or later)
  • Authentication. SMB supports Extended Authentication Security using Kerberos and NTLMv2.
  • Efficient. SMB features Resource Compounding, allowing multiple requests to be sent in a single request. In addition, SMB can use large reads and writes to make better use of faster networks as well as large MTU support for blazing speeds on 10 Gigabit Ethernet. It aggressively caches file and folder properties and uses opportunistic locking to enable better caching of data. It’s even more reliable, thanks to the ability to transparently reconnect to servers in the event of a temporary disconnect.
  • Transparent reconnect. El Capitan supports Persistent Handles for transparent failover and reconnects to enterprise SMB3 file servers.
  • Compatible. SMB is automatically used to share files between two Mac computers running OS X El Capitan, or when a Windows client running Windows 8 connects to your Mac. OS X El Capitan maintains support for AFP SMB2 and SMB network filesharing protocols, automatically selecting the appropriate protocol as needed.

Unfortunately, my little single-bay QNAP only supports SMB_2 with Samba 3.6.25. It's still a decent improvement of SMB_1 though.

Unfortunately, my little single-bay QNAP only supports SMB_2 with Samba 3.6.25. It's still a decent improvement of SMB_1 though.

TS-251 is only $300 on the Amazon right now - if you click thru the SNB Main site, Tim gets paid ;)

Dear Santa...

The one I have works just fine and was half that much. I just got a 70" 4K UHDTV for Christmas anyway. A man's gotta have priorities. :D

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!