What's new

Linksys WRT1900AC v1 replacement

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

FattysGoneWild

Regular Contributor
I want something rock stable and easy to use factory firmware. Linksys completely abandon this router and I have had it since close to launch. It mainly has issues with our Ipod Touch. We have 3. 2 6th gens and 1 5th gen. AC 3200 this time around maybe? Netgear R8000? Open to suggestions. I love how simple and easy to use Linksys firmware is. I just don't trust them with another model because of the poor WRT1900AC v1 support. They just left bugs existing and never fixed them. The other versions seem fine now and issues have been pretty much resolved. I MIGHT consider going with another Linksys. Only if you guys could suggest rock stable and reliable. While pricey. The EA9500 seems to be pretty good? Not reading to many complaints about it and it comes with a 3 year warranty.

Don't go back to Linksys, they're not going to get to be better...as you know, they only supported the WRT1900AC for a year, and that was minimal support, long periods of time between firmware releases.

Currently using the Netgear R7800, doing very well here on Netgear firmware (believe it or don't *smile*). It's been up for a month, and right at the moment has been up about 3 weeks. It only gets taken down to try new firmware on other routers. Aside from the reliability, the performance has been great here. Better than the WRT1900AC and R7000. One of the things that I really like about it is that it is able to use full power on the lower channels on 5GHz., which works really well relative to my neighbors. Very nice. Very happy with the performance and reliability.

There is dd-wrt firmware in the works, but that's going to take some time. In the meantime, the stock firmware is doing fine.

If you want to spend as much as the Linksys EA9500 costs, you might wait until there are some solid reviews for the Netgear Orbi, like on this site, before spending that much money on anything from Linksys. Reviews should be coming along for this one.

I want something rock stable and easy to use factory firmware. Linksys completely abandon this router and I have had it since close to launch. It mainly has issues with our Ipod Touch. We have 3. 2 6th gens and 1 5th gen

The primary issue with WiFi and the WRT's - put 2.4GHz into B/G/N-Mixed mode, and things settle out nicely - Linksys default for 2.4GHz tries to do 802.11ac in 2.4GHz, and this confuses the heck out of certain clients - Broadcom gets odd, Realtek might not connect, and Intel gets very weird... QC-Atheros clients do ok, oddly enough...

R7800 eh? Hmm. Would the R8000 be that much better though and more mature/reliable stock firmware? Since its been out a while now?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!