What's new

Linksys WRT1900AC V2 Firmware Ver. 2.0.6.166464

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Just bought one from the Linksys website and returned it. I got v1 instead of v2 as advertised on their website.

I got the same thing after their live chat rep said they were only shipping V2 prior to my order. Call them up, they refunded my shipping and told me they will let me use the V1 until the V2 comes in and they will replace it. I am calling them back today since its been 5 business days since my first call.

Just bought one from the Linksys website and returned it. I got v1 instead of v2 as advertised on their website.

That blows. They may be trying to get rid of old stock. But if it says V2 they should be shipping V2 routers.

That blows. They may be trying to get rid of old stock. But if it says V2 they should be shipping V2 routers.

Thats where they are getting people. The SKU is the same but they are listing the cpu spec (1.3ghz) from the V2. Also if you ask their live chat which version they are shipping they will tell you V2. When I called after I received a V1 last week the CS gentleman told me they didn't even have any V2 in the warehouses yet.
Capture.JPG

Back in the old-school WRT54G days - as long as the first four characters of the Serial Number on the box was lower than/equal to CDFA, one was good to go... that indicated V4 or earlier, and the SN was printed on the box...

If it was CDFB, it was a V5, which was seriously cost reduced and ran native as VXWorks rather than the linux board support package...

Back in the old-school WRT54G days - as long as the first four characters of the Serial Number on the box was lower than/equal to CDFA, one was good to go... that indicated V4 or earlier, and the SN was printed on the box...

If it was CDFB, it was a V5, which was seriously cost reduced and ran native as VXWorks rather than the linux board support package...

Man, were those WRT54G a nightmare for enthusiasts. They weren't just changing the hardware, but also the software. The maximum number of concurrent sessions would vary wildly depending on whether you had their horrible VxWorks-based revisions, or a more capable one with twice the RAM and running Linux. In the end they finally issued a different SKU (WRT54GL) to differentiate them.

IMHO, any specs changes that has impact on performance should be marketed with a different model number. It saves a lot of headaches to customers. Linksys of old (pre-Cisco) were absolutely horrible at that. A friend of mine had to go through hoops trying to find a wireless adapter that worked in his Linux box back in the day. Since Linksys loved to switch back and forth between Atheros and Broadcom (if I remember correctly), he and the salesman at the store were scratching their heads over the boxed adapter they had for sale, as only one of the two platforms was Linux-compatible.

OCZ is another company that learned this lesson the hard way, when they silently swapped NAND to one that has higher density but allowed fewer P/E cycles due to the process shrink, and kept selling the drive under the same model number.

WRT54G V2-V4 were fairly consistent - board spins perhaps, but generally the same SoC/WiFi/RAM/Flash, the GL was a re-intro of the V4... or perhaps V3.1 - I've got a couple of WRT54G v3's sitting on the shelf as "keepers"...

V1 was always *WRT friendly, but they weren't that common compared to the other versions, Linksys moved over to V2 pretty quick, as it had a much lower BOM cost, and upside was that V2 had a faster Broadcom SoC... so win-win...

Recall the WRT-54GS models - they were nice for a bit... bit more flash, bit more memory, some challenges with the wifi drivers, but most worked it thru... most of the GS models were linux based, at least the ones I played with, but I've heard that there was at least one version that was VxWorks based there as well... my experience with them was thru V3, which was 32/8 and linux friendly...

WRT54Gv5 was horrible, V6 thru V8 (same form factor) - all VxWorks and making the most of the WRT54G brand perhaps... and then we had the UFO model at the cusp of 11n...

Savvy folks had to really know how to read the codes on the AP retail boxes, as Linksys put the SN's there...

On the client side - total shotgun - same model number, but totally different chipsets from version to version... some were linux compat, some were not, and even within Windows space, some versions were better than others...

Just got off the phone with Linksys. They told me my replacement V2 should be shipping in 1-2 business days. After that it should be 5-7 for delivery. Not sure about retail availability though.

Did online chat with sales rep and told me they are shipping V2 right now . Btw i was told linksys new antennas gonna be available on the 23rd

Did online chat with sales rep and told me they are shipping V2 right now . Btw i was told linksys new antennas gonna be available on the 23rd

They told me that two weeks ago as well. Their live chat has no clue what they are talking about and will lie to get you to purchase. About a day or two after I received my V1 (and called CS which they told me they didnt even have any V2's in stock at any warehouses yet) I tested the live chat again to see what they would say. They told me again that they had V2's in stock trying to get me to purchase. Even the CS rep I talked to tried to tell me that there was no difference between V1 and V2 and to just update the firmware. After a bit of schooling about hardware differences a manager got on the line and apologized and got the ball moving.

Bottom line dont trust what live chat tells you. If you do go with it screen shot the conversation before closing it. Then get ready to call Linksys when you get a V1.

If needed when you call the 800 options are 1, 3, 3, 4. As of now my supposed V2 should be delivered tomorrow. They are overnighting it, if my last order was anything to go by they dont have a pickup until 5PM Est (according to the UPS tracking page).

Last edited:
They told me that two weeks ago as well. Their live chat has no clue what they are talking about and will lie to get you to purchase. About a day or two after I received my V1 (and called CS which they told me they didnt even have any V2's in stock at any warehouses yet) I tested the live chat again to see what they would say. They told me again that they had V2's in stock trying to get me to purchase. Even the CS rep I talked to tried to tell me that there was no difference between V1 and V2 and to just update the firmware. After a bit of schooling about hardware differences a manager got on the line and apologized and got the ball moving.

Bottom line dont trust what live chat tells you. If you do go with it screen shot the conversation before closing it. Then get ready to call Linksys when you get a V1.

If needed when you call the 800 options are 1, 3, 3, 4. As of now my supposed V2 should be delivered tomorrow. They are overnighting it, if my last order was anything to go by they dont have a pickup until 5PM Est (according to the UPS tracking page).

Thanks for the information . Please keep us posted once you get V2 . I will wait for bb or frys to bring it . Could you please take a the box ? I guess we could tell the deference from the box

Thanks for the information . Please keep us posted once you get V2 . I will wait for bb or frys to bring it . Could you please take a the box ? I guess we could tell the deference from the box

I will, I would think it would be different since its a different cpu spec so it should say 1.3ghz vs 1.2ghz on the V1 box. There should also be other identifiers which I will look out for since I will have both in hand. I just hope that I dont get another V1 and have to start this whole process over.

Last edited:
Well, Linksys will typically put the version number on the device label - so that's first place to check...

Can I politely ask, if the router is a V2, share the first 4 characters of the Serial Number, just as a data point, in the past, Linksys has done Version spins and incremented the first four characters there...

sfx

Well, Linksys will typically put the version number on the device label - so that's first place to check...

Can I politely ask, if the router is a V2, share the first 4 characters of the Serial Number, just as a data point, in the past, Linksys has done Version spins and incremented the first four characters there...

sfx

Absolutely, I will try to point out as many differences as I can providing I actually get a V2 this time.

l_10078597_002.jpg

Latest FW in linksys website to the time i wrote this thread :
http://www.linksys.com/us/support-article?articleNum=148550

Product: Linksys WRT1900AC
Classification: Firmware Release Notes

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

IMPORTANT:
- DO NOT power cycle the Router during the firmware upgrade process.

===========================================================================
Firmware version: 2.0.7.166869
Release date: May 18, 2015

- Added support for OpenVPN
- General bug fixes

Firmware version: 2.0.6.166464
Release date: April 10, 2015

- Wireless driver updated to ver. 7.2.8.6
- Fixed 2.4GHz connectivity issue on wireless bridge/repeater mode
- Resolved low throughput issues for some 802.11n clients
- Overall throughput has been improved when five or more clients are associated.

Firmware version: 2.0.6.166357
Release date: March 16, 2015

- Initial release

sfx2000 Posted this picture :
wrt1900ac_v2-png.3708

This is what Wikidevi knows about V2 :

https://wikidevi.com/wiki/Linksys_WRT1900AC_v2

And this is what I know lol :p

1 - We are waiting on nagle3092 to receive his V2 and give us his feedback

2 - Searching BB website doesn't show any result for wrt1900ac

Capture.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
If you want to buy it from linksys website, chat with a sales rep and ask them for %10 Promo Code ;)

Just wanted to give an update. Got my package and its a V2! I came home for lunch and took some pictures of the box. I'll post them in a little bit when I get back to work. Let me know if anyone has something they want me to check for.

All right so here we go.

Revision is obviously different, V1 is Rev-D00 while V2 is Rev-A01.
wrt1900acREV.png

V1 serial starts with 13J1 while V2 starts with 13J2
wrt1900acSN.png

Then box art is different showing the correct cpu specification.
DeXdNQK.jpg

I didnt have time for much else, I cracked the box open to check the hardware. No fan, check, model number reads WRT1900AC V2, check. I'll set it up tonight when I get home.

Edit: Just got it setup, its a bit lighter thanks to the smaller heatsink than in the V1. This one comes with a wall wart power supply vs the stand alone the V1 has, I would prefer it was the same since but after moving some things around on my UPS its in there fine. Not much to comment on yet though, so if there are any questions feel free.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!