What's new

Linksys WRT1900AC V2 Firmware Ver. 2.0.6.166464

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

@#*$^*@&^

They're $99 freaking bucks! Hopefully Amazon will have them at some point!

I wish linksys go back this gui
screenshot014.jpg

Hey everyone, just took the plunge and picked up a a WRT-AC1900. My previous modem is a Linksys EA4200. I also considered the AC-68U but felt the Linksys was a little more future-proof in the end.

As luck would have it, I now see v2 has been released. I'm still in my return period, but am not sure it's really worth it to bring it back and try ordering a v2 directly from linksys. I've read up a ton and see that v2 is a little more efficient due to new processor and runs cooler due to new heats sink, but overall it doesn't seem like a huge jump from v1 tbh. Also, Kong seems close to v1 DD-WRT, and Open WRT is already available for v1 (who knows how long for either of those to be made available on v2).

Thinking of sticking with v1...but still a little unhappy there's a newer model already out lol. Thoughts?

Last edited:
I pointed this out in another thread but new/upgraded doesn't always mean better. Take the Asus RT-AC68P for example.

It's essentially the RT-AC68U with a more powerful processor. Tim tested it here at SNB and although it saw some modest improvement in storage performance and close-range wireless performance, it actually performed worse on both wireless bands at long range than the AC68U did.

I don't think it's worth the hassle to return and do all that. Just keep the V1 and be happy.

I pointed this out in another thread but new/upgraded doesn't always mean better. Take the Asus RT-AC68P for example.

It's essentially the RT-AC68U with a more powerful processor. Tim tested it here at SNB and although it saw some modest improvement in storage performance and close-range wireless performance, it actually performed worse on both wireless bands at long range than the AC68U did.

I don't think it's worth the hassle to return and do all that. Just keep the V1 and be happy.

Or you could try to hang out until Tim reviews the V2 (if it gets reviewed) and see what's up then. Personally, on the RT-AC68U/P, I'd rather have the 20% faster processor than the margin of difference shown for wireless, since I may get a higher top end that way, if needed. Not sure that the difference in wireless isn't within the margin of error on testing, maybe Tim could comment on that. Like if you run 10 tests, what is the variance in results?

Or you could try to hang out until Tim reviews the V2 (if it gets reviewed) and see what's up then. Personally, on the RT-AC68U/P, I'd rather have the 20% faster processor than the margin of difference shown for wireless, since I may get a higher top end that way, if needed. Not sure that the difference in wireless isn't within the margin of error on testing, maybe Tim could comment on that. Like if you run 10 tests, what is the variance in results?
Thanks for the info guys, much appreciated. Since I only picked the router up the other day I still have a few weeks left before I need to make a decision. I actually ended up with both the WRT-AC1900 and AC-68U and was already having trouble deciding between them...and then this v2 came out and it suddenly got even more complex lol. Guess I'll set them up and see how it goes for a week or two, and look out for more feedback and reviews on v2 in case something pops up to change my mind.

Last edited:
Hey everyone, just took the plunge and picked up a a WRT-AC1900. My previous modem is a Linksys EA4200. I also considered the AC-68U but felt the Linksys was a little more future-proof in the end.

As luck would have it, I now see v2 has been released. I'm still in my return period, but am not sure it's really worth it to bring it back and try ordering a v2 directly from linksys.
Thoughts?

Not a big jump - the V1 is still extremely capable...

I wish linksys go back this gui

I don't think they're going back to that...

I'd like to think they're moving forward with the WRT lineup, there's a lot of opportunity, and perhaps some that they're still trying to sort out...

Consider the recently cancelled Disk Storage thingy - rather than have it as a dedicated NAS, they could have easily done a two disk external storage box, tying it back to the WRT on the eSATA port, and manage it on the WRT.

Similar to the 8-port GiGE switch - for now it's a dumb/unmanaged switch, but they again, could have made it a managed switch, and manage it via the WRT1900/1200 GUI...

Kind of an opportunity missed perhaps?

WRT family photo - again, properly executed, this would have been a nice SOHO/SMB product stack...

WRT_family_shot.jpg

I have both the U & P

Both running stock fw

Can't see a difference between both in my opinion apart from boot time being faster for U , Link rate is a bit low with P , Internet is a bit stable with P and Range is a bit better With U

Just waiting for merlins 54 to do a proper home comparison.

Of course I don't need them. But I would buy them, as would many other people, if they weren't $99!

Doesn't matter if they were 5 bucks or 99 bucks... high gain antennas are not a good bet...

Case in point - doing a wireless scan from my desk - Kismet - regular PIFA antenna, which is about 1.5dB gain @ 2.4GHz - I see 24 adjacent AP's in a suburban environment - yeah, it's a bit, but only three of them are hot enough to worry about - e.g. they're close in power to my AP's and STA's

Putting a 5dB dipole onto the same adapter - I see 211 adjacent AP's - and now over 30 of them are hot enough to impact my network.

That's on the Client side - put the same antenna's on the AP, that's adding a hella noise to the AP/STA relationship... which means - yep, the entire BSS on the local WiFi network is now impacted.

Gain isn't selective...

I've gone over this time and time again... I don't know if I'm just not telling the story right, or if the message is being missed.

The best way to improve WiFi performance - move the AP's to where the clients are - maybe it takes more than one depending on the area being covered, but location in WiFi is like real estate, location is everything...

So to recap the differences:

Armada XP > Armada 38x - add 100Mhz, minor speed bump
256MB RAM > 512MB RAM - still 16 bit bus
Etron USB3/eSATA > native on Armada 38x
Daughter Board for Radios > single board w/radios

This is a classic cost reduction, and optimization - nice effort, my guess is that with all these changes, they probably dropped 20 bucks off the HW, and that includes adding twice the RAM.

Now if the 1900acV2 maintains the RF performance of the V1, and the network/storage performance of the 1200acV1, then it's a compelling device.

WRT1900AC V2 RAM is 256MB. See box pic attached.

Attachments

• IMG_3336.jpg
    IMG_3336.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 510

As luck would have it, I now see v2 has been released. I'm still in my return period, but am not sure it's really worth it to bring it back and try ordering a v2 directly from linksys. I've read up a ton and see that v2 is a little more efficient due to new processor and runs cooler due to new heats sink, but overall it doesn't seem like a huge jump from v1 tbh. Also, Kong seems close to v1 DD-WRT, and Open WRT is already available for v1 (who knows how long for either of those to be made available on v2).

Thinking of sticking with v1...but still a little unhappy there's a newer model already out lol. Thoughts?

WAN-LAN speeds for V2 from my experience are 2x V1.

I am seeing 950+ Mbps on EN, and this is what I see when directly connected to fibre modem. Yes I have a GB link. Wifi is pushing 600+ on ac.

V1 as 450 EN, and 250 WiFi.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!