What's new

Linux server and storage upgrade with NAS?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

geekmiki

Occasional Visitor
Hi,

I currently have a server running Ubuntu with 5x 2TB drive in RAID5 (with mdadm). The server is running on an AMD Phenom X2 250 with 2GB RAM and is used for storage/sharing (SMB and NFS), Usenet downloads (SABNZBPlus and CouchPotato), streaming HD content to mediacenters, and some other small applications I use via SSH (IRC, FTP, etc.).
I'm satisfied with the performance and the way I use it, but I need to expand the storage capacity. Since the MoBo only has 6 SATA ports, I can't add another disk.

What I'm looking for is buying a NAS, with at least 4 bays, build a RAID 5, mount that share on the Linux server and administrate it from there. I don't really need all the fancy features of NASes (like app-capability, web frontends, etc.), just the basics (NFS, SMB and SSH).

Upgrading the RAID5 disks on the server is not an option, since I have nowhere to store the data that's already there while upgrading.

I need you advice for:
-Is there a better option than having a NAS+Server (while limiting the costs - e.g. not buying a whole new server)?
-If there's not, what NAS would you recommend that has good performance and that would fit this setup?

Thank you in advance!

Hi,

I currently have a server running Ubuntu with 5x 2TB drive in RAID5 (with mdadm). The server is running on an AMD Phenom X2 250 with 2GB RAM and is used for storage/sharing (SMB and NFS), Usenet downloads (SABNZBPlus and CouchPotato), streaming HD content to mediacenters, and some other small applications I use via SSH (IRC, FTP, etc.).
I'm satisfied with the performance and the way I use it, but I need to expand the storage capacity. Since the MoBo only has 6 SATA ports, I can't add another disk.

What I'm looking for is buying a NAS, with at least 4 bays, build a RAID 5, mount that share on the Linux server and administrate it from there. I don't really need all the fancy features of NASes (like app-capability, web frontends, etc.), just the basics (NFS, SMB and SSH).

Upgrading the RAID5 disks on the server is not an option, since I have nowhere to store the data that's already there while upgrading.

I need you advice for:
-Is there a better option than having a NAS+Server (while limiting the costs - e.g. not buying a whole new server)?
-If there's not, what NAS would you recommend that has good performance and that would fit this setup?

Thank you in advance!

Hi,

I need you advice for:

Thank you in advance!

Question 1 is how do you or plan to backup? RAID is not a backup. It will get you.

As may others, I suggest Synology or QNAP. Only these.

I would never run an RAID5 without a backup solution. You are asking for trouble. If you accidently delete a file on the RAID it is gone forever. You need to recover the file from a backup.

Why don’t you just add a RAID card and create another RAID in your server. Maybe migrate to higher density drives. 2TB drives are not very big any more by today’s standards.

I would never run an RAID5 without a backup solution. You are asking for trouble. If you accidently delete a file on the RAID it is gone forever. You need to recover the file from a backup.

Why don’t you just add a RAID card and create another RAID in your server. Maybe migrate to higher density drives. 2TB drives are not very big any more by today’s standards.
I have a small 2 x 2TB drive NAS. Two volumes. No RAID by intent. No mirroring by intent as a hosed up file system would duplicate the flaws. Volume 1 has lots of automated backup to volume 2 and USB3.

Having 2 separate disks does allow you to backup from one to the other. The draw back without RAID is you lose redundancy. When a disk dies you cannot just install another and have the system rebuild automatically. You have to recover from backups.

I know that not having a backup is bad and a source of potential problems. Because of budget and time reasons I haven't been able to look into before. Now is the moment to potentially improve my setup.

I was actually thinking of adding a simple 4 bay NAS (QNAP/Synology) with 4x3TB disks, backup everything and replace the 2TB disks with 4x4TB disks.

Well I finally have decided to build a new Freenas server and to use the current RAID5 as a backup. I didn't really want to go that way, but I guess it might be the best choice for me.
In that way everything is covered: RAID, backup and performance.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!