What's new

Lion Breaks Time Machine NASes

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

vnangia

Tim, any word on HP? The kexts that make it possible to connect Macs to the Mediasmart appear to be broken - perhaps 32bit/64bit issues, nothing serious. Any chance they can offer a recompiled version?

I'm amazed how uniformly lacking support for Lion + Time Machine has been across the various NAS manufacturers. Lion has been in beta for how long? And they couldn't have a fix ready for release day? Pathetic.

At least Netgear made half an effort and had their newer x86-based stuff up to snuff. But their sparc-based userbase got the shaft (again).

Tim, any word on HP? The kexts that make it possible to connect Macs to the Mediasmart appear to be broken - perhaps 32bit/64bit issues, nothing serious. Any chance they can offer a recompiled version?
I've added info to the chart in the article. Basically, there may be a third party solution coming. No definite timeframe.

Looks like my vitriol wasn't entirely warranted: Netgear posted a firmware update -- a beta release -- for sparc (600/Duo/NV/NV+) users today that resolves the Lion issues.

Last edited:
Thanks, Fromage. I've updated the article with a link.

Just a follow-up note: many users are noting in this thread on the ReadyNAS forums that a final manual reboot -- after the update process itself reboots the machine -- is required before everything starts working properly.

Be warned: the add-on installation process appears to be broken with this beta release.

LaCie is not fixed

Actually, while there are some software updates available from laCie for Lion compatibility, TimeMachine is not among them, I think.

The linked LaCie support page says
"Cause: The LaCie NAS OS does not support Time Machine with Mac OS X Lion.
Solution: Use Mac OS X 10.6.x or earlier when using Time Machine to back up your Mac to a LaCie network hard drive."

(Which I find to be an extremely poor answer by the way).

On the other hand, I read on a WD support forum that they're working on a solution, and a firmware update for the WD live NAS series should appear in the next few weeks.

Now that i have upgraded to Lion i am no longer able to backup to my NAS drive with time machine. I happened to come across dollydrive.com ,,,

There I was able to start a fresh Time machine backup in the cloud,,, They also provide a cloning functionality :)

Actually, while there are some software updates available from laCie for Lion compatibility, TimeMachine is not among them, I think.

The linked LaCie support page says
"Cause: The LaCie NAS OS does not support Time Machine with Mac OS X Lion.
Solution: Use Mac OS X 10.6.x or earlier when using Time Machine to back up your Mac to a LaCie network hard drive."

(Which I find to be an extremely poor answer by the way).

On the other hand, I read on a WD support forum that they're working on a solution, and a firmware update for the WD live NAS series should appear in the next few weeks.
I have a LaCie Big5 NAS and LaCie is saying it may not be fixed!!

Network Space Max

I have a Network Space Max and while LaCie lists it on their web site under this page, there is no update listed for it. Has anyone heard anything about a third party solution for LaCie?

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!