What's new

Local DNS? DNSMasq best option?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

SubNoize

Occasional Visitor
Hi,

Hopefully this is in the right place.

I'll start by saying sorry for my complete noobness but after a few hours of googling around I haven't been able to get anything working so I figured since my router is ASUS RT-AC66U running Merlin firmware this will probably be the best place to ask.

My question is, I currently have a server running windows on IP 192.168.1.50 and rather than accessing it via the IP i'd prefer to have it accessible via a name address so my family and any device on the local network can access it easier. Is doing this via DNSMasq the easiest option?

Also is there anyway to include a port in the address? Let's say I wanted 192.168.1.50 to be home.com and then on the server I had a program that is bound to port 1111 is there anyway to have it so when someone enters home.com it directs to 192.168.1.50:1111.

Keep in mind I only care about accessing this locally, I have no intentions to access this outside the home network. I also don't want to edit host files because I'd like this to be accessible from mobile devices.

Thanks in advance for any information or opinions offered.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!