What's new

Looking for a bit of guidance please.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

KennyK

New Around Here
Hi, I am new here. I found some valuable info in the forum, including the article on what to look for when buying a new router. Seems there's some people here who know a thing or two about networks. That's great, I don't know a whole lot but know what I want. I am just looking for a bit of guidance to help me to make a new modem / router choice.

I am going to use it for a home network, in a large house, 1 level. For 2 to 4 people. I do a bit of day trading so need a very reliable fast LAN connection for my main PC. Our TV and ChromeCast are also on the LAN. Everything else is wireless. At a quick guess maybe 10 - 15 devices at the most. I would prefer a mesh system if one can be reliable. I have an FTTN connection to the NBN in Australia. My plan is NBN50. Which is 50/20.

What's important to me: Reliability. Security. I want to be sure to have more than enough speed and bandwidth. I want seemless handoff between main router and node if I have a mesh set up. Ease of use. Decent guest network, preferably including to the node, if a mesh set up. Smart connect sounds like a good thing too? Meaning that when you connect a wireless device you don't have to select 2.4 or 5, the router always makes sure you are connected to the right band.

For the past few years i have used an ASUS DSL-AC68U with a NetGear EX7000 Extender
This has been pretty good. Having to manually switch networks when in the far end of the house is something I would like to do away with though.

I was going to buy the ASUS AiMesh AX6100 WiFi System (RT-AX92U 2 Pack)
But after reading through a couple of threads on here I cancelled that. Seems they are not reliable.

So the short list I have arrived at after much research is as follows:
Synology RT2600ac with an MR2200ac node set up as a mesh.
ASUS Zen WiFi CT8 2 pack as a mesh.
ASUS RT AC86U x 2 as a mesh.
ASUS RT AC86U with my existing DSL AC68U as a node. Set up as a mesh if possible.
Or just using an ASUS RT AC86U with the current EX7000 extender. (saving some cost)

Interested in your comments, thanks.

Last edited:
Hi, I am new here. I found some valuable info in the forum, including the article on what to look for when buying a new router. Seems there's some people here who know a thing or two about networks. That's great, I don't know a whole lot but know what I want. I am just looking for a bit of guidance to help me to make a new modem / router choice.

I am going to use it for a home network, in a large house, 1 level. For 2 to 4 people. I do a bit of day trading so need a very reliable fast LAN connection for my main PC. Our TV and ChromeCast are also on the LAN. Everything else is wireless. At a quick guess maybe 10 - 15 devices at the most. I would prefer a mesh system if one can be reliable. I have an FTTN connection to the NBN in Australia. My plan is NBN50. Which is 50/20.

What's important to me: Reliability. Security. I want to be sure to have more than enough speed and bandwidth. I want seemless handoff between main router and node if I have a mesh set up. Ease of use. Decent guest network, preferably including to the node, if a mesh set up. Smart connect sounds like a good thing too? Meaning that when you connect a wireless device you don't have to select 2.4 or 5, the router always makes sure you are connected to the right band.

For the past few years i have used an ASUS DSL-AC68U with a NetGear EX7000 Extender
This has been pretty good. Having to manually switch networks when in the far end of the house is something I would like to do away with though.

I was going to buy the ASUS AiMesh AX6100 WiFi System (RT-AX92U 2 Pack)
But after reading through a couple of threads on here I cancelled that. Seems they are not reliable.

So the short list I have arrived at after much research is as follows:
Synology RT2600ac with an MR2200ac node set up as a mesh.
ASUS Zen WiFi CT8 2 pack as a mesh.
ASUS RT AC86U with my existing DSL AC68U as a node. Set up as a mesh if possible.
Or just using an ASUS RT AC86U with the current EX7000 extender. (saving some cost)

Interested in your comments, thanks.

If you go with a 2xRT-AC86U AiMesh, I suggest not using Smart Connect so that you can use fixed channels for more stable/predictable WiFi. And use separate SSIDs and simply connect clients to the preferred band for more stable/predictable connections.

If you use your 68U which does not support Smart Connect, then same thing.

OE

I suggest not using Smart Connect so that you can use fixed channels for more stable/predictable WiFi. And use separate SSIDs and simply connect clients to the preferred band for more stable/predictable connections.

Thanks for the tip OzarkEdge. If I did that would the devices still transition from main router to node seemlessly?
Or would it be like it is now, having to change networks manually?

I just realised none of those products have internal VDSL modems. I thought they all did. I was totally unaware. DOH!
I need a VDSL modem in the main unit. So will need to have a re think on the list. Or is a separate modem with the above a valid solution? Any suggestions?

For the past few years i have used an ASUS DSL-AC68U with a NetGear EX7000 Extender. This has been pretty good. Having to manually switch networks when in the far end of the house is something I would like to do away with though.
I'm kinda surprised. I did similar for a couple of years but with an N66U and the Netgear 6150 with no issues. (Maybe my "far end" was so far that it had no choice but to flip over?)

I'm kinda surprised. I did similar for a couple of years but with an N66U and the Netgear 6150 with no issues. (Maybe my "far end" was so far that it had no choice but to flip over?)
Ok, It may also be due to the way it is set up too? Because it's the first and only extender I have ever used. Maybe it can be set up differently? But at present the SSID for the main network is different to that of the extender. For example ASUS 5g (main) ASUS 5g EXT (extender).

Ok, It may also be due to the way it is set up too? Because it's the first and only extender I have ever used. Maybe it can be set up differently? But at present the SSID for the main network is different to that of the extender. For example ASUS 5g (main) ASUS 5g EXT (extender).
I also used a different SSID. I was going to set them up to be the same but "temporarily" set them up to be different because it was easier to verify that my clients were flipping over.
  • Perhaps there's a firmware update you can apply to the 7000?
  • Perhaps it's not flipping to the better 5GHZ because the 2.4 signal still seems adequate?
  • I used the "fast lane" option. I dedicated one radio for the backhaul to the router and the 2nd for the "far end" clients.
  • Maybe it's something as simple as "fine tuning" the actual placement of the ex7000?

Last edited:
Thanks for the tip OzarkEdge. If I did that would the devices still transition from main router to node seemlessly?
Or would it be like it is now, having to change networks manually?

Each wireless client ultimately decides where to connect. The AiMesh system does things to encourage the best decision. Optimum and seamless are the goal, but its radio and many different clients, so some perform better than others. Many perform well.

With AiMesh set to broadcast the 5.0 SSID KennyK on the same channel from each node, and your client set to connect to KennyK, it will only remain for the AiMesh Roaming Assistant node steering feature to encourage your client to roam to the next node. This is not always a seamless transition (the client has to break and make its connection to the network), but it does happen without having to manually intervene.

OE

I just realised none of those products have internal VDSL modems. I thought they all did. I was totally unaware. DOH!
I need a VDSL modem in the main unit. So will need to have a re think on the list. Or is a separate modem with the above a valid solution? Any suggestions?
Looks like I could use a Draytek Vigor 130 modem with the above harware set ups.

I wouldn't recommend RT-AC86U due to low reliability record and still unresolved issues. Read here on SNB how many people had to use their warranty and replace failed RT-AC86U routers. Some SNB members had more than one failed units. Read also how many RT-AC86U owners got surprised by the software/remote reboot bug when the router simply refuses to boot properly. I had one of those routers and as expected I don't have it anymore. There is a hope newer routers manufactured in 2019/2020 are better, so you may take your chances.

I wouldn't recommend RT-AC86U due to low reliability record and still unresolved issues. Read here on SNB how many people had to use their warranty and replace failed RT-AC86U routers. Some SNB members had more than one failed units. Read also how many RT-AC86U owners got surprised by the software/remote reboot bug when the router simply refuses to boot properly. I had one of those routers and as expected I don't have it anymore. There is a hope newer routers manufactured in 2019/2020 are better, so you may take your chances.
Yes, actually I have seen the same with quite a few of the ASUS routers.

Yes, actually I have seen the same with quite a few of the ASUS routers.

No router is perfect. This specific one has a bit more quirks than expected.

Can you pull some wires in your house? If you can, I would suggest in your case to use the existing DSL-AC68U as a router only with GNUton Asuswrt-Merlin firmware (even temporary) and purchase Omada OC200 controller + 2-3 x EAP245V3 access points + TL-SG108PE 8-port Smart PoE switch. Check the price in your local stores, but it will be similar to purchasing 2 x high-end consumer routers or some fancy home Mesh systems. Omada setup supports 802.11k/v/r roaming technologies, you can have Guest Network on all access points, you can add more access points if needed (all with central management), you can upgrade your router to something better later, etc. It will be more reliable with better throughput and roaming, also more flexible for future upgrades. Take a look, you may find interesting things in SMB segment for not much higher price. This specific setup is tested and offers excellent price/performance ratio.

There is a professional review of EAP225V3 access points here on SNB:
https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wir...o-gigabit-ceiling-mount-access-point-reviewed
EAP245V3 is the newer and even better model with 3x3 AC radios for like $20 more per unit.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!