What's new

looking for a new router to upgrade

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

drms

New Around Here
first of all, sorry for my bad english, i´m from Brazil.

Merlin, You are the Man! thank you very much!

i´m using a asus rt ac66u since may of 2013 ( 24 hours a day) ) with Merlin FW, and now i´m having problems with the stability( probably because the cabe provider are very instable to) and the main problem is range, the ac66u are much better than my old netgear n600 WNDR3700 v1. The Asus almost cover my entire apartment but i have some weak and almost dead zones.

i need a better range in 2.4 ghz and 5ghz and i have a chance to buy a new router in Canada, because my sister is living there now.

240 canadian bucks is the max. i can spend (only because is the new Asus 1900)

-TP-Link AC3200 = cdn$ 200
-TP-Link AC2600 = cdn$ 200
-TP-Link AC1900 High Power = cdn$ 140
-Asus RT-AC68u = cdn$ 214
-Netgear Nighthawk R7000 = cdn$ 220
-Asus RT-AC1900P = cdn$ 240
(i can use te Merlin rt ac68u FW in this one, correct? i read this but i don´t remenber were....)

Which one is the best router and the one who will give me the best range?

All prices are from amazon or bestbuy.

i don´t have any MU MIMO clients( that i know..) , only some N and AC band.

-2 chromecast ( 1gen and 2gen)
-xbox one
-iphone se
-ipad 3
-tv that use 5ghz N
-xperia z3
-2 old notebooks
-1 desktop N dual band
-and 3 others cellphones.

We use netflix and youtube a lot and web browser on the phones.

by the way, i spent the last week reading all the reviews in this forum and in the internet...and after that i thought that probably the best choices are the asus ac68u (but now we have the new model so will be this rt ac1900) or tplink ac2600 or the tplink ac1900 because the money...

Thanks for the attention, and sorry for my bad english again.

and hope you can help me!

Last edited:
in terms of upgrading the future of routers seems very bleak

Its not about range and power, its about positioning and good chips. You also need to ask yourself what features do you need from a router.
Do you need QoS?
Do you do any gaming (ASUS has some stuff)

And other features you want from a router.

I suggest getting AC1900 and using your ac66u as an extender (connect them via ethernet). With some positioning this should help with deadzone. Adjust your 2.4 and 5Ghz transmit power as you dont want to leak this too much (if you're in a country where you have tv license and you dont pay perhaps because you dont have a tv or watch tv online than you will get vans trying to snoop on your wifi and you).

Everyone always asks for range but in a home environment with omni antennas, its not about range. Its about having good chips, positioning and configuring it well. Your instability for wifi is caused by the AP having the range but your client not having the range.

The RT-AC1900P would be the router I would recommend for you.

Yes, you can use RMerlin's firmware on it (use the RT-AC68U firmware for it).

This 'updated' RT-AC68U is the best bang for the buck right now and offers much better WiFi (particularly in the 5GHz band) than the first generation AC1750 RT-AC66U ever did.

Too bad your sister (and you) missed the RT-AC3100 for $191 (USD) by a few days. That is the router you really want. ;)

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/sh...-go-with-the-rt-ac1900p-v3.34748/#post-281391

I had tried all the three possible positions to the router and the actual is the best for coverage.

Gaming is not the problem, my sun don´t play online and when i play online everyone is sleeping.

I tried QoS but don´t saw big difference ...

Like i try to said, i thought that the TP ac3200, TP ac2600 and Asus rt ac1900 are better choices because they are newer or the TP ac 1900 High Power because it is better and newer than mine ac66u and very cheap too.

Sorry again for my bad english, i can read but had been a very long time since i wrote in english.....

Thanks all.

i just ordered Asus RT-AC1900P in the Bestbuy canada for US 192,17 (with tx). The sade side is that my sister only come to Brazil in November. When my new toy arrived i will post my first impressions.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!