What's new

Looking for a Router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

RobNY

Occasional Visitor
Looking for a new home router that supports 24 ports with gig and ideally PoE. My current router Cisco RV325 has been giving me problems with UPnP and my Xbox's. My home is very wired each bedroom has 2 wired connection and all other rooms have 1 that is run to a 12 port patch panel in the basement with my Internet connection (68mb). There are 7 switches that are currently connected to the RV325 from 5 ports up 16 ports everything is run across my Ethernet network from TV (HD Homerun Primes x2) to phone. My wife and I also work from home full time so stability is essential. I used to be a Cisco network engineer but do network project management for many years now so know and understand networking but looking for something cheaper than Cisco lol. Thanks for your help.

-Rob

Have you seen the Microtik Routers? CRS226 can handle several of the requirements that you are talking about. The PoE could be like a Netgear G108T which has (4) PoE ports and is a Smart switch.

Much more cheaper than a Cisco equivalent. :)

Have you seen the Microtik Routers? CRS226 can handle several of the requirements that you are talking about. The PoE could be like a Netgear G108T which has (4) PoE ports and is a Smart switch.

Much more cheaper than a Cisco equivalent. :)

I've been looking at that but saw that the lower\cheaper model seems to have faster processor? Also I'm concerned at how well UPnP works as I have a ton of devices depends on it.

MikroTik - CRS125-24G-1S-RM

Last edited:
That model looks like a managed L3 switch. I could be wrong about that. Will you need routing/Router capabilities? Unfortunately, there isn't a Review I can find on SNB on these.

I've been researching Mikrotik as well because I'm looking to upgrade my Router and Wifi network.

Note: Qualcomm Atheros AR9344 600 MHz is the CPU on it.

I found this PDF specs on it: Mikrotik CRS125

Upnp is what you really want to have seamless connectivity, yes?

That model looks like a managed L3 switch. I could be wrong about that. Will you need routing/Router capabilities? Unfortunately, there isn't a Review I can find on SNB on these.

I've been researching Mikrotik as well because I'm looking to upgrade my Router and Wifi network.

Note: Qualcomm Atheros AR9344 600 MHz is the CPU on it.

I found this PDF specs on it: Mikrotik CRS125

Upnp is what you really want to have seamless connectivity, yes?

Yes want a fully functional router with firewall bonus points if I can upload adblocker to it lol. I have a ton of devices that require UPnP to work and the RV325 has been really annoying I would even manually add entries and they would magically disappear and I won't know until things start failing. So I'm pretty sick and tired of having to keep "fixing" UPnP every day or 2.

I have the crs and it isnt particularly fast as a router because of all the ports being switched with only 1Gb/s to CPU.

UPNP works well on mikrotik, just define your internal and external interfaces. Plex, torrents, consoles, skype all work well with upnp as the rules dynamically appear in the NAT firewall as long as you've configured upnp.

You might want to use the CRS as a switch and a mikrotik router as a router that is more suitable.

I have the crs and it isnt particularly fast as a router because of all the ports being switched with only 1Gb/s to CPU.

UPNP works well on mikrotik, just define your internal and external interfaces. Plex, torrents, consoles, skype all work well with upnp as the rules dynamically appear in the NAT firewall as long as you've configured upnp.

You might want to use the CRS as a switch and a mikrotik router as a router that is more suitable.

When you say it isn't fast do you mean that I would notice it? The home network is a flat single vlan with routing capped @68mbs to the internet with the most challenging thing would be streaming 4k Dolby Vision which uses approximately 25mbs max sustained. I really can't see any benefit for increasing my bandwidth to the internet. We really do hammer the local network with everything we have going on but they say I get wire speed for all 25 ports switched.

-Rob

When you say it isn't fast do you mean that I would notice it? The home network is a flat single vlan with routing capped @68mbs to the internet with the most challenging thing would be streaming 4k Dolby Vision which uses approximately 25mbs max sustained. I really can't see any benefit for increasing my bandwidth to the internet. We really do hammer the local network with everything we have going on but they say I get wire speed for all 25 ports switched.

-Rob
As long as its below 100Mb/s you can use the CRS as a router. i use the CRS226 as a switch as it has 24 ports and 2SFP+ ports which i currently fill. I also bond multiple different ports on the switch chip itself. If it werent for the bonding i could use an 8 or 16 port switch but i use LACP where i can mainly because i have multiple devices capable of it.

The only problem with the CRS currently is that it doesnt have STP, that will only be released in routerOS 7 for the switch chip itself. Historically routerOS has never had STP for the switch chip which is a big problem when you have multiple layer 3 networks on the same switch.

As long as its below 100Mb/s you can use the CRS as a router. i use the CRS226 as a switch as it has 24 ports and 2SFP+ ports which i currently fill. I also bond multiple different ports on the switch chip itself. If it werent for the bonding i could use an 8 or 16 port switch but i use LACP where i can mainly because i have multiple devices capable of it.

The only problem with the CRS currently is that it doesnt have STP, that will only be released in routerOS 7 for the switch chip itself. Historically routerOS has never had STP for the switch chip which is a big problem when you have multiple layer 3 networks on the same switch.

I highly doubt I will have a need for SFP's does the CRS226 have a more powerful processor? Is there going to be a new model coming out soon as in few months? I can hold off on the purchase if a newer better model will be releasing soon it's more annoying at the moment then a show stopper.

I highly doubt I will have a need for SFP's does the CRS226 have a more powerful processor? Is there going to be a new model coming out soon as in few months? I can hold off on the purchase if a newer better model will be releasing soon it's more annoying at the moment then a show stopper.
the CRS 1xx and CRS 2xx use different switch chips. hence the CRS 1xx has a 600Mhz CPU with 128MB of ram. The CRS 2xx has a 400Mhz CPU with 64MB of ram.

Dont hold your breath regarding the models, hold it for RouterOS 7.

the CRS 1xx and CRS 2xx use different switch chips. hence the CRS 1xx has a 600Mhz CPU with 128MB of ram. The CRS 2xx has a 400Mhz CPU with 64MB of ram.

Dont hold your breath regarding the models, hold it for RouterOS 7.

That was the part that confused me the more expensive and higher router seems to have a slower processor and less ram?

that is correct, but the CPU and RAM are only used for management. The main load is done by the switch chip.

Ah okay and the CRS 2xx has the better switch chip then correct? I ask because I'm trying to decide between the 2 the price difference isn't that great. I don't care about 10G for a home network or the extra SFP so wondering if there is anything else I'd be missing. Thanks for all your help btw.

Ah okay and the CRS 2xx has the better switch chip then correct? I ask because I'm trying to decide between the 2 the price difference isn't that great. Thanks for all your help btw.
That is correct but regardless the switch chips cannot perform NAT. Both switches have the same features only one is faster (hence the 2 SFP+ ports) but to keep the same TDP the CPU is underclocked.

That is correct but regardless the switch chips cannot perform NAT. Both switches have the same features only one is faster (hence the 2 SFP+ ports) but to keep the same TDP the CPU is underclocked.

Okay last question promise lol. Which one is better/faster with NAT? And you mentioned RouterOS 7 is that something that I would have to purchase or it a free download? And when should it be released? Thanks again!

routerOS 7 will be an update so if you buy a routerboard theres no need to purchase. As long as you have purchased a routerboard or routerOS for x86 than all updates are free.

NAT requires CPU so i would suggest the crs1xx if it has enough ports. Normally it would be better to have both a router and switch (router using CPU connected ports).

Router OS 7 is still beta and in development so it will be a while before it gets released.

routerOS 7 will be an update so if you buy a routerboard theres no need to purchase. As long as you have purchased a routerboard or routerOS for x86 than all updates are free.

NAT requires CPU so i would suggest the crs1xx if it has enough ports. Normally it would be better to have both a router and switch (router using CPU connected ports).

Router OS 7 is still beta and in development so it will be a while before it gets released.

Great thanks for all the help! Taking the plunge.

Looking for a new home router that supports 24 ports with gig and ideally PoE. My current router Cisco RV325 has been giving me problems with UPnP and my Xbox's. My home is very wired each bedroom has 2 wired connection and all other rooms have 1 that is run to a 12 port patch panel in the basement with my Internet connection (68mb). There are 7 switches that are currently connected to the RV325 from 5 ports up 16 ports everything is run across my Ethernet network from TV (HD Homerun Primes x2) to phone. My wife and I also work from home full time so stability is essential. I used to be a Cisco network engineer but do network project management for many years now so know and understand networking but looking for something cheaper than Cisco lol. Thanks for your help.

-Rob

Hmmm.... well, first I would look at flattening that network - 7 switches in the home, that's quite a bit, and probably not needed...

The uPNP issue can be easily solved with just _not_doing_it_ and create the port forward lines there.

I would suggest stepping back and look at the big picture - as this network has grown organically over time, and this is pretty clear in your ask.

Sit down and do some planning - you're in a good spot, as you have plenty of connectivity, far more than most, but perhaps a focused Gateway Router and a managed switch, is all you need - and then sprinkle AP's as needed, probably no more than 3 (I suggest starting with two - with WiFi, sometimes less is more).

I suggest throwing some thought into the problem, rather than money (e.g. hardware) - and you'll likely have a better network afterwords..

Hmmm.... well, first I would look at flattening that network - 7 switches in the home, that's quite a bit, and probably not needed...

The uPNP issue can be easily solved with just _not_doing_it_ and create the port forward lines there.

I would suggest stepping back and look at the big picture - as this network has grown organically over time, and this is pretty clear in your ask.

Sit down and do some planning - you're in a good spot, as you have plenty of connectivity, far more than most, but perhaps a focused Gateway Router and a managed switch, is all you need - and t16hen sprinkle AP's as needed, probably no more than 3 (I suggest starting with two - with WiFi, sometimes less is more).

I suggest throwing some thought into the problem, rather than money (e.g. hardware) - and you'll likely have a better network afterwords..

There is no way to get rid of the 7 switches each support TV's (5), home office and 40tb media server. Figure each TV has an Xbox, Roku and internet enable bluray player. The Xbox's require UPnP in order to work properly and even when I manually add in Port Address Translation table the RV325 magically deletes after so many hours. Never had this problem when my Asus router running Merlin.

I am looking for a single device to inter connect everything and act as a router because I have limited room for the devices in the basement. As in I won't be able to put in a 24 switch and a router. There are 12 connections to rooms throughout the house plus 4 other devices so 16 ports and few extra for growth.

I'm able to now get great coverage throughout the house with wifi thanks to Merlin and finding the perfect spot for placement. Took a long while and lots of testing to find it but really happy to finally find it so I don't have to mess around with multi-able WAP's.

I used to be a Cisco network engineer but do network project management for many years now so know and understand networking but looking for something cheaper than Cisco lol. Thanks for your help.

Ok - it's perhaps a bit embarrassing for you as a CCNE perhaps, but it if works - all good...

(perhaps this is why I don't let CCN* guys into my network plans initially - but that's another discussion)

sfx