What's new

Looking for Compatible Open Source Firmware for TL-SG108E V3 Switch

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

pege63

Very Senior Member
Is there any hird party open source firmware compatible with TP-Link Switch TL-SG108E V3, like DD-WRT?

Isn't that just a basic managed switch? What are you hoping to gain via a 3rd party firmware?

Sent from some device using Tapatalk

To get rid of the default_vlan that you can NOT edit or untagg/tagg or delite at all.
In the lates FW (TL-SG108E(UN)_V3_20171214) Notes it writes:

New Features/Enhancement:
1. The port can be removed from VLAN1
2. The port of VLAN1 can choose tagged/untagged

But you cant do nothing of this at all, you cant remove any ports from VLAN1 and you can NOT choose to tagg/untagg any ports at all.

I have the TL-SG108E. I also cannot change anything having to do with VLAN1, but that is not a problem. I actually don't use VLAN1 in my setup and just ignore it. As long as you have your PVID's set like you want them there should be no problem.

Yes but it still means that all 8 ports are member of a untagged active Vlan, and can be a security risk.

Is there any hird party open source firmware compatible with TP-Link Switch TL-SG108E V3, like DD-WRT?

get's really weird there - most of the UI is going to be riding on top of the chipset vendors BSP/SDK...

Many of the older Broadcom managed switches run eCOS, which is FOSS, but it's definitely not linux, so the pool of talent for 3rd parties is pretty shallow... nothing like OpenWRT, but handy if one knows some eCOS primitives... Other OS's one might run into most commonly - ThreadX and VXWorks, and those are very closed source.

FWIW - threadx is one is the smallest RTOS's and it performs very well - not as small as qualcomm's REX, but close... the RPI's bootloader is threadx.

The SG-108E, being Realtek based - I'm suspecting eCOS, but maybe linux - Realtek is known for getting linux into a really small footprint.

get's really weird there - most of the UI is going to be riding on top of the chipset vendors BSP/SDK...

Many of the older Broadcom managed switches run eCOS, which is FOSS, but it's definitely not linux, so the pool of talent for 3rd parties is pretty shallow... nothing like OpenWRT, but handy if one knows some eCOS primitives... Other OS's one might run into most commonly - ThreadX and VXWorks, and those are very closed source.

FWIW - threadx is one is the smallest RTOS's and it performs very well - not as small as qualcomm's REX, but close... the RPI's bootloader is threadx.

The SG-108E, being Realtek based - I'm suspecting eCOS, but maybe linux - Realtek is known for getting linux into a really small footprint.

Oki i was just wondering Tp-Link writes at there webpage:
To Use Third Party Firmware In TP-Link Products
Some official firmware of TP-Link products can be replaced by the third party firmware such as DD-WRT. TP-Link is not obligated to provide any maintenance or support for it, and does not guarantee the performance and stability of third party firmware. Damage to the product as a result of using third party firmware will void the product's warranty.

This must mean there routers then and not the switches.

Do you know if there is some Third Party Firmware for the managed SG-108E switch?

I spoke with a friend of mine that is using a TL-SG108E v3 with the TL-SG108E(UN)_V3_20171214 firmware released on 1/5/2018 and he is able to modify ports for VLAN1. I do not have a version 3 switch but mine may be v2, I will have to check. If so I believe the firmware works on V2 and I will give it a try when I get home.

I spoke with a friend of mine that is using a TL-SG108E v3 with the TL-SG108E(UN)_V3_20171214 firmware released on 1/5/2018 and he is able to modify ports for VLAN1. I do not have a version 3 switch but mine may be v2, I will have to check. If so I believe the firmware works on V2 and I will give it a try when I get home.

Let me know how he did that and ask him if he can share his configuration.cfg file.
How did he modify the ports for VLAN1, step by step?
We are over 100 ppl on a nother forum and this can also be confirmed by resellers that Tp-Link has told them that they know about the problem and that its still the same as in the OLD FW, so back on square 1.

Ask him if he can login by the Webased GUI on IP 192.168.0.1 and set the pc IP to 192.168.0.30?
I cant login at all:

Last edited:
I know I'm late to the party, but I saw on the TP-Link site that the latest firmware is supposed to be able to do it.
TL-SG108E(UN)_V3_20171214Download
Published Date: 2018-01-05Language: EnglishFile Size: 421.27 KB

Modifications and Bug Fixes:
New Features/Enhancement:
1.The port can be removed from VLAN1
2.The port of VLAN1 can choose tagged/untagged

Notes:
1. For TL-SG108E_V3
2. Your device's configuration will not be lost after upgrading, which means you don't need to configure your device again after upgrading.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!