What's new
  • SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

First of all, that is my first post on forum, so I wanted to greet you all.

My house is 4 storey, 70m2 (~750 ft2) each. It is semi-detached house.

First storey, which is underground, is house for a car and jam jars, so I do not need connection here.
Next 2 storeys are living area. I do require great quality wireless connection here, as well as wire connection in one of the rooms on 3th storey. It would be great if I also had at least "meh" internet connection outside house, in the backyard, at least 15 m behind house. Outer house wall is 25 cm of ceramic brick and 15 cm of styrofoam, floors are made from concrete.
On last storey, no one lives, it is attic, but it is also a place, where my internet provider provides me with internet cable and internet modem.

What I wanted to do was:
-> Put a wired router at attic
-> Put a 4-bay NAS server next to router
-> Put AP in one of sleeping rooms, which is in "front" of house, at 3nd storey
-> Put AP in one of rooms, which is in "back" of house, at 2nd storey
-> Run cables (which is easy) from router to APs and an office room at 3nd storey

I have only one other requirements, I want to have a possibility to set up VPN server at Router (or other device).

I thought about buying:
-> Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Lite $100
-> TP-Link TL-SG1008P $70
-> 2 * Ubiquiti AC Pro $145 each
-> Synology DS418 $450

But at that point I think my choices are not optimal.

My internet connection right now is 100 Mbps download and 50 Mbps upload.

Last edited:
Why an Edgerouter Lite instead of a USG? With the USG you can manage everything from one Unifi interface. They are even the same price afaik.

Managed switches will give you more control over your network, e.g. VLAN support for isolating parts of your network. Ubiquiti Unifi has the US-8 switches or you can get other managed switches from Zyxel or best of all from Cisco.

If you actually need a very strong VPN server performance from Ubiquiti routers, you won't find it (e.g. more than 50MB/s IPSEC with a USG). In general, you are better off having a separate preferably x86 box for VPN anyway. You can use that box for other services too.

Last edited:
They are even the same price afaik.
20 USD difference

defeating one of the advantages of getting smaller switches (silence).

Not a very big deal, but in that case I will look for alternative.

If you actually need a very strong VPN server performance from Ubiquiti routers, you won't find it (e.g. more than 50MB/s IPSEC with a USG). In general, you are better off having a separate preferably x86 box for VPN anyway. You can use that box for other services too.

Will qnap or synology NAS provide me with that functionality?

What about wireless?

Not a very big deal, but in that case I will look for alternative.

I was actually thinking of the "Unmanaged Pro" TL-SG108E switch. My mistake.

The TL-SG1008P is an unmanaged switch. I am not familiar with it, but as an unmanaged switch it should be fine, if that is all you need.

Will qnap or synology NAS provide me with that functionality?

What about wireless?

No idea about the NAS functionality.

Your wireless choices are solid, in model and count. You should prefer as centralized placement as possible, for the broadest coverage, with minor exceptions like thick inner walls around where you need the most performance. Worst case scenario, you can add more APs later.

Sounds great, so I will go with:
-> Ubiquiti UniFi Security Gateway $119
-> Ubiquiti UniFi Switch 8 port 60 W $109
which is $518

I see that there is slightly cheaper option of AP without PoE adapter, which is nice, as I have a switch.

-> Synology DS418 $450

Thanks for help.

Last edited:
First of all, that is my first post on forum, so I wanted to greet you all.

My house is 4 storey, 70m2 (~750 ft2) each. It is semi-detached house.

First storey, which is underground, is house for a car and jam jars, so I do not need connection here.
Next 2 storeys are living area. I do require great quality wireless connection here, as well as wire connection in one of the rooms on 3th storey. It would be great if I also had at least "meh" internet connection outside house, in the backyard, at least 15 m behind house. Outer house wall is 25 cm of ceramic brick and 15 cm of styrofoam, floors are made from concrete.
On last storey, no one lives, it is attic, but it is also a place, where my internet provider provides me with internet cable and internet modem.

What I wanted to do was:
-> Put a wired router at attic
-> Put a 4-bay NAS server next to router
-> Put AP in one of sleeping rooms, which is in "front" of house, at 3nd storey
-> Put AP in one of rooms, which is in "back" of house, at 2nd storey
-> Run cables (which is easy) from router to APs and an office room at 3nd storey

I have only one other requirements, I want to have a possibility to set up VPN server at Router (or other device).

I thought about buying:
-> Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Lite $100
-> TP-Link TL-SG1008P $70
-> Synology DS418 $450

But at that point I think my choices are not optimal.

My internet connection right now is 100 Mbps download and 50 Mbps upload.
"Edgerouter" is not part of the Unifi series from Ubiquiti ..
It will therefore not enter the Unifi Controller concept.

If you want a seamless system, you must stick to Unifi USG Security Gateway (USG) or UniFi Security Gateway Pro 4 (USG-Pro-4)
I was actually thinking of the "Unmanaged Pro" TL-SG108E switch. My mistake.

The TL-SG1008P is an unmanaged switch. I am not familiar with it, but as an unmanaged switch it should be fine, if that is all you need.

No idea about the NAS functionality.

Your wireless choices are solid, in model and count. You should prefer as centralized placement as possible, for the broadest coverage, with minor exceptions like thick inner walls around where you need the most performance. Worst case scenario, you can add more APs later.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!