What's new

Looking for info on what may cause pausing in games

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

thatmikeguy

New Around Here
Some routers like the one I'm using have both QoS and port triggering. Do they work at the same time, and if so is that a good thing to have them both on? I have them both setup for all my games.

I have a WNDR4300 with wireless disabled after my 100m cable modem at the moment, but it's pausing for 2-8 seconds when there are many things happening in a game. I've bypassed it, and the problem goes away. My games mostly use small packets. This is happening with nothing else on the router.

Thanks,
Mike

Port-triggering and QoS are 2 very different things.

Port-triggering is a part of NAT/port-forwarding, and is probably not causing your problems.

QoS is practically intelligent network buffering, which may or may not be the cause of your problem. A 2-8 second pause is a huge time-span for a 100Mbit connection even if it were 100% saturated.

Assuming that you are referring to PC games, my first guess would be that your computer is simply freezing. Maybe some automated defrag or backup is causing the freeze. Maybe anti-virus is causing it?

More details may help us solve your troubles.

First you should check that its not your CPU or internet bandwidth. If the problem is indeed with your router that just means it cant keep up with the number of packets needed. QoS isnt intelligent network buffering but auto QoS is. Its much better to manually configure QoS. If your connection is fully utilised you can get 2-8 second pauses because of packet drops requiring resends.