What's new

Looking for N4B1 community/advice

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

xmiinc

Occasional Visitor
Hi all,
New forum-member here...

I'm here to learn more about NAS usage in general, and hopeful to find other users of the N4B1 unit in particular.

I bought an LG N4B1 NAS late last summer and populated it with 4x1.5Tb 7200rpm Seagates. Has pretty much worked flawlessly since as a straight NAS, attached via Gigabit ethernet to a Dlink-655 router, along with the itunes server implementation. Because of the BD capability, I decided to operate the unit as a single, formatted 5.6Tb volume without RAIDing it. Very quiet operation. I upgraded the firmware around Oct/Nov 09, with no probs, on an Intel Mac running OS 10.5.8.

The issues I've had recently, that have driven me to look for forums of NAS-users are:
- particular to this unit...puzzling BD burning performance: I was able to burn a copy of my itunes folder to a series of BD discs, but since then I can't burn ANY further directories, leaving me exposed without a recent backup. Would love to hear of other N4B1 users' experiences, if any.
- general info on embedded OS's (the N4B1 runs a Linux kernel) and installing appropriate apps that might enhance functionality as the Drobo community does for its devices.
- any info/speculation on this device one day being DLNA-compliant? Is DLNA primarily a soft/firmware issue, or is there a hardware component necessary for compliance?
- any user-experiences on serving web pages from the N4B1? HTTP seems to make this possible, but I'd love more info on how this is actually implemented in the real world (I do have some intermediate-level web-admin and general programming experience, and can author php/mysql/apache scripts, but never had anything to do with Linux or embedded OS's).
- why I can't seem to access the unit over SMB from my Intel Mac. Instead I'm forced to use AFP to mount the (single) volume.

I can confirm LG provides an adequate but minimal support page for this unit. Which is unfortunate because I think this thing has at least as much potential for being a multi-faceted media-hub has many other, more popular, NAS's out there.

Last edited:
Hi all,
New forum-member here...

I'm here to learn more about NAS usage in general, and hopeful to find other users of the N4B1 unit in particular.

I bought an LG N4B1 NAS late last summer and populated it with 4x1.5Tb 7200rpm Seagates. Has pretty much worked flawlessly since as a straight NAS, attached via Gigabit ethernet to a Dlink-655 router, along with the itunes server implementation. Because of the BD capability, I decided to operate the unit as a single, formatted 5.6Tb volume without RAIDing it. Very quiet operation. I upgraded the firmware around Oct/Nov 09, with no probs, on an Intel Mac running OS 10.5.8.

- why I can't seem to access the unit over SMB from my Intel Mac. Instead I'm forced to use AFP to mount the (single) volume.

I'm using N4B1 under Mac OS X 10.6.2

Accessing over SMB has no problem. I also think using over SMB under Mac OS 10.5.8 has no problem.

Haven't you ever used accessing NAS over SMB?

smb://nas ip

Last edited:

I'm using N4B1 under Mac OS X 10.6.2

Accessing over SMB has no problem. I also think using over SMB under Mac OS 10.5.8 has no problem.

Haven't you ever used accessing NAS over SMB?

smb://nas ip

I'm still using 10.5.8. I have tried accessing the NAS over SMB on a number of occasions, but to no avail. Is SMB dependent on Bonjour? While trying to make my itunes folder available over the WAN, I discovered that having Bonjour installed and enabled (which I currently don't) was part of allowing this kind of service. Perhaps there's something similar going on with respect to SMB services?

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!