What's new

looking for real world experince(comparison) with RAX120 and asus gt_ax11000

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Dorian Chamorro

Occasional Visitor
i recently Picked up the netgear nighthawk ax12 (rax120). i have been pretty much an asus guy forever but after having many issues with my old router (buffer bolat) #1 issue. I felt it was time to upgrade, after LOTS! of research i narrowed it down to 2 routers the netgeat and asus ax11000 routers. I saw many recommendations to go with a qualcom based device,I picked up the rax120 and it seems to be doing a pretty good job but for one or two hiccups that have not yet repeated. But i find i highly dislike the the router interface and i am seeing that netgear seems to have a piss poor reputation of their warranty's and customer support,as well as no support for fq_codel ,openwrt or the like for the rax120. One thing I can personally say is that Ausu has had phenomenal support anytime i have had issues. i also prefer their interface much more,they have the best bios screens of anyone for me at least. My fear is though that why mess with a good thing if the netgear is working why change it. but i also fear i may regret it, if in a year it breaks and i have to deal with them and bad support.

im wondering if any of you have had one or both and what is your experience with them has been like. has anyone switched from the ra120 to the gt-ax11000 or from the gt-ax11000 to the rax120 what has your performance been like which do you feel is the better option.

last note im hardwired to my pc and how it handles buffer bloat is my primary concern.
also does the difference in cpu speeds seem to have any real world impact? the asus being 1.8ghz compared to the rax120s 2.2ghz

the best way to deal with bufferbloat is, get an enterprise grade router and enjoy the extremely complicated QoS options you can employ, worked for me.

I would pick asus over netgear, after not being happy with their modem. Out of all 3 modems i tested, netgear was the slowest and least reliable while having the least honest sec profile too. I use asus too but only for wifi. I've used asus as a router and it was decent but the QoS was bugged.

Also bufferbloat depends. Its easy to cheat a bufferbloat test by prioritising ICMP.

The netgear i picked up actually is handling bufferbloat fantastically, thats why im hesitant to switch to the asus even though i really like and prefer them

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!