What's new

Looking for router supprting Unii 2extended channels at full power

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Dogged

New Around Here
The 2.4G and 5G (Unii 3) bands are becoming ever increasingly crowded where I live. Accordingly, I am looking for a router that supports the Unii 2extended channels using the increased (in 2015?) FCC authorized power levels for maximum flexibility, Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your help.

d

The 2.4G and 5G (Unii 3) bands are becoming ever increasingly crowded where I live. Accordingly, I am looking for a router that supports the Unii 2extended channels using the increased (in 2015?) FCC authorized power levels for maximum flexibility, Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your help.

d

DFS - remember, those channels are shared, and that band is under TPC requirements - even with the recent FCC changes...

Might consider just moving AP's around to suit conditions...

DFS - remember, those channels are shared, and that band is under TPC requirements - even with the recent FCC changes...

Might consider just moving AP's around to suit conditions...

Thanks for the reply.

I already have an independent need to upgrade my 6 year old single band TP-Link router because of miserably slow "1gb" ports.

And I am currently running an externally mounted Engenius ENH500 on channel 136 to cover the back of the property which works extraordinarily well.

I already know about Apple's Airport Extreme but I received less than enthusiastic reports which are perhaps due to the old power limitations.

With my exception, all of the 5G activity within range of my property is Unii 1 and Unii 3 so I want to go where they are not...

So... I am looking for a new full frequency/full power router to last the next few years.

Thanks again for your reply.

d

I already know about Apple's Airport Extreme but I received less than enthusiastic reports which are perhaps due to the old power limitations.

Apple stayed with the older FCC/EU specs with regards to Tx power - there's a lot of hints that we'll see new HW next week perhaps at WWDC (or not, it's rumors after all).

Apple stayed with the older FCC/EU specs with regards to Tx power - there's a lot of hints that we'll see new HW next week perhaps at WWDC (or not, it's rumors after all).

Thanks for kind'a validating my still functioning thought process....:D

d

The Ubiquiti Unifi Gen2 APs are currently getting DFS (Unii 2 and Unii 2extended) support rolled out in some regions already, the North American Firmware with support is in beta right now.

https://www.ubnt.com/unifi/unifi-ap-ac-pro/

One thing to keep in mind is that clients inconsistently support those extra channels, I would check what your clients support before getting too excited... Unii 2 is fairly well supported but Unii 2extended is not.

The Ubiquiti Unifi Gen2 APs are currently getting DFS (Unii 2 and Unii 2extended) support rolled out in some regions already, the North American Firmware with support is in beta right now.

https://www.ubnt.com/unifi/unifi-ap-ac-pro/

One thing to keep in mind is that clients inconsistently support those extra channels, I would check what your clients support before getting too excited... Unii 2 is fairly well supported but Unii 2extended is not.

Thanks for the tip.
d

All of my iOS devices seem to work iPad2 or higher, iPhone 5c or higher.

My Asus USB-AC56 which previously had high ratings on this site sees NONE of the APs on unii2 / 2e. I suspect it is a driver region issue (no recent driver updates available), but it is my least important 5Ghz client at the moment.

Last edited:
Just be aware that some AP's might support the newer power limits - most of the clients don't - so you can run into an unbalanced link in the UNII-1/UNII-2 bands...

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!