What's new

Looking for SOHO AP 802.11 ac, mu-mimo ?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

robertfontaine

New Around Here
I have an old fashioned dedicated router/firewall (pfsense) and am looking for nice clean connectivity for the wifi devices on my lan behind the firewall. I have no need for external switches, usb, printer connectivity or any other add-on that they try to stuff into a residential all-in-one wireless router.

I've gone the openwrt route for quite a few years//

I'd like to be spending my money on the wifi functionality rather than on the things that I don't need.
Residential, two storey, a bit of a noisy environment but I can locate the AP in the middle of the house.
Once installed I am unlikely to upgrade again for 3-5 years kind of thing.

I assume that if I'm going to buy an 802.11AC AP at this point I should probably buy mu-mimo even though most devices don't support it yet. The wave 2 hardware appears like the right idea but I have no idea which ones I should be comparing and most of the "reviews" I am finding appear to be blatant advertising.

Which AP's should I be looking at and how much do I have to spend to upgrade?

Which AP's should I be looking at and how much do I have to spend to upgrade?

if its AP alone ( as you dont need a router ) then why not look at the ubiquiti unifi AC range

I should probably buy mu-mimo

there is very little value in chasing mu-mimo for the extra money you will spend to get it and then find it has very little benefit to your overall wifi network

Spent an hour or two looking at mu-mimo and yes I understand it is mostly pointless in my environment. thanks.

The ubiquiti AC AP's look just about perfect for my needs. thanks.

Last edited:
Also, since MU-MIMO is very new, it's unlikely that any serious SOHO product will offer it for quite some time, until the technology matures.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!