What's new

Looking for user friendly dual wan router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

al2813

Occasional Visitor
Hi, I have at home 2 internet connection - a main cable one and a secondary DSL. The main connection is plugged into my Airport Extreme which acts as a DHCP server and main WIFI router. Behind it I have a main GB Switch that distributes all wired LAN traffic. I have two smaller switches behind (living room and first floor).

When I move to backup (the cable connection has great bandwidth but gets sometimes saturated at peak times resulting in higher latency and unstable bandwidth), I simply plug out the cable modem router (in bridge mode) and plug in the DSL modem router (also in bridge). I am looking now in moving to a new setup where I will have a dual WAN router that can do this switch automatically, or even aggregate the links in load balancing mode. As I am a novice in this and also don't have much time to tweak this, I am looking for an alternative that has a powerful GUI allowing me to configure stuff relatively easy. the Synology router looks the one with the best interface by far, but I am concerned about its WIFI performance. Asus routers seem to have the opposite - great WIFI but GUI not as good, plus the dual WAN function has had many remarks in the forum. I also looked at wired routers and getting a separate system for WIFI, but this makes the whole thing very expensive.

Any recommendations are welcome - experience shared etc.

RT-AC1900P (Best Buy exclusive) or RT-AC68U (if BB is not available in your area). Use Dual WAN feature in Load Balance mode. With, RMerlin firmware, of course. ;)

I've had good experiences in the past with Cisco's RV product line. You will have to connect a separate wifi AP to it however to provide Wifi connectivity.

Asus's Dual WAN support is hit-or-miss. I used it for a few days at work while rebuilding our dead Linux-based firewall, and it was problematic.

Have used Dual Wan for over 2 years with different customers setups. No issues with Load Balance mode. :)

Have used Dual Wan for over 2 years with different customers setups. No issues with Load Balance mode. :)

That's why I said it was hit-or-miss. In our case, we had random page load failures while in load balancing mode. I didn't waste any time trying to troubleshoot it since it was just a temporary setup, until I could get our new Shorewall box prepared, so I just reverted back to single WAN for the duration.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!