What's new

Looking for wired router that supports VLAN

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

SpeedyMe

Occasional Visitor
Thoughts about Trendnet TWG-431BR ? Objective is to separate IOT and video security from PC network.
Not interested in DIY or open source, needs to "just work" after setup, with auto notify of available firmware updates / security issues. Would be nice to be able to support VPN server (remote connect to network video recorder w/o opening it to the internet). TIA.

TrendNet is not really known for their routing/gateways. If I had to guess I'd bet the OS is an OpenWRT-derivative, like most other faux-player in the space. Hardware is probably similar commodity silicon SoC to what similar SMB products would use. That's not necessarily a bad thing, as long as it offers what you need, but I can think of numerous other platforms I'd rather use: Cisco RV for a plain-Jane box that "just works". It's been around way longer, so its more developed, more well documented and likely better supported. Or for something a bit more firewall-focused, Fortinet offers arguably the most throughput per dollar; a 30E or 50E without any subscriptions (don't need them, necessarily) would probably do nicely and they offer fairly easy-to-deploy FortiClient for VPN. There's also Untangle, who sell pre-built appliances ready to go, with a $50/year "Home" subscription and decent support as well. Untangle is feature reach but at the same time not that complicated either, and they support OpenVPN if you prefer that.

So, not really putting down TrendNet, per say; it's just that there are way more proven options out there for either equal or not much more money.

Surely an Ubiquiti Edgerouter Lite or X would do the trick.

Thanks for the input and ideas.

I thought the Cisco RV routers were EOL or going that way soon? A Fortinet box w/o subscription would not get security updates to the firmware, right? I was hoping to do this w/o recurring subscription / license fees.

Which UBNT router would be needed for a gigabit WAN in a house? Does UBNT have a process to notify users of available / needed firmware updates?

I left out Ubiquiti EdgeRouter, as the OP expressly suggested that he wanted something tunk-key, for which an ER is no really an accurate match, especially if the OP were to try and setup VPN. Not that it's that hard... I have Wireguard running at line rate for months now, never a falter, and the CPU is hardly taxed... lol. But that's besides the point. I'm trying to focus on what would be a best fit for the OP, and I'm not sure an ER is the best suggestion. Low cost for the power, yes. Easy to operate? Depends on skill level and willingness to learn.

@SpeedyMe - Ubiquiti has UNMS for their ERs, which I believe can be setup to send email alerts when firmware updates are available, yes.

The Cisco RV340 router is a current router with lots of support from Cisco. It will handle gig internet even using ACLs. It is very easy to setup as it has a wizard which does the setup for you so you don't miss anything. I still use the wizard to start with as it is easier and faster and then I make my changes after the wizard runs. It will handle VLANs with no trouble but I use my Cisco layer3 switch, SG300-28 to route all my local VLANs and my RV340 router just does internet duties.

Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestion of the RV340. I see that it has a subscription for security software, but works otherwise without it. Looks like I would need licenses for the VPN functionality, only available in 25 client packs? Kinda expensive if you only need a couple.

I thought you got 2 anywhere connect licenses for the RV340 router for free. I may be wrong.

From what I read, you get 2 'server' licenses -- that allow the router end of 2 simultaneous connections - but need 'client' licenses for the remote end. https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/suppo...t-licensing-for-the-rv340-series-routers.html Given the router is less than $200, the VPN clients at 5 years for $350, or perpetual at $700 is kind of like give you the razor and sell you the blades. If one wanted the security software, it would be just over $100 a year as well and it also seems that you have to set up a Cisco 'smart account' which requires a domain registered in your name, among other things. https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/routers/csbr/RV340/Quick_Start_Smart_License/Smart_License_qsg_en_V4.pdf I get that all this would probably not deter a business customer, but this is for home use.

From what I read, you get 2 'server' licenses -- that allow the router end of 2 simultaneous connections - but need 'client' licenses for the remote end. https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/suppo...t-licensing-for-the-rv340-series-routers.html Given the router is less than $200, the VPN clients at 5 years for $350, or perpetual at $700 is kind of like give you the razor and sell you the blades. If one wanted the security software, it would be just over $100 a year as well and it also seems that you have to set up a Cisco 'smart account' which requires a domain registered in your name, among other things. https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/routers/csbr/RV340/Quick_Start_Smart_License/Smart_License_qsg_en_V4.pdf I get that all this would probably not deter a business customer, but this is for home use.

Sounds like you are in biz and know more than me but I don't understand why you are asking this silly question if you know so much.

I can tell you I run my RV340 router at home and I don't pay any fees. It works great.

I am just an old retired guy, former programmer. I was just reporting what I read on Cisco's website about licensing for the RV340 you all suggested.

It is good to know the RV340 works just fine without any subscriptions. I gather you are not using the built-in VPN server solution.

I appreciate the support you have provided me and many, many others on the forum. Thank you.