What's new

Looking to buy a cheap router for 24/7 torrent and streaming

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

qrious

New Around Here
Hey,
I am looking to buy a wifi router for my college room (100 sq feet).
I want to run it as a file sharing, streaming server which also downloads torrents 24x7.
Therefore, I am looking for ddwrt and usb support. It should also have QoS so that torrents do not interfere with my web browsing.

My budget is upto INR 5000 (~$75) (can stretch a bit).
I get internet through LAN. My internet connection speed is 2 Mbps. I have a laptop and a phone.

What would be a good router for me?
I am looking at the following options -

1. Asus RT AC51U Dual-Band AC750 Wireless Router
It is cheap ( Rs. 3000), supports wireless AC and has usb. However, it only supports padavan's firmware and I don't know if I'll be able to do what I want with it.

2. TP-LINK TL-WDR3600 N600 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit Router
It is expensive (Rs. 5600), only supports wireless N but has good support for ddwrt and open wrt.

3. Tp-Link Archer C5 AC1200 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit Router
It is cheaper than wdr 3600 (Rs. 5000) but v2.0 is not supported by custom firmware and I don't want to take the risk.

Please advice.

Thanks

Why not a RT-AC56U?

Maybe due to EOL now, but there are still several ones refubished or second handed very cheap (with warranty) available world wide.

Last edited:
I could find it on ebay but it is too expensive (Rs. 13,000).
Will RT AC51U be sufficient for my needs?

I'm probably not the best person to talk on those devices, since i never dealed with them, but if the FWs you mentioned are supported i guess you will be ok.

Specifications wise they are all uncomparable inferior to RT-AC56U.

It supports a firmware called padavan which has support for torrent, dlna and other stuff. I guess I will see how it goes.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!