What's new

Looking to Synology

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

tbutler@ofb.biz

Regular Contributor
Hi everyone,
Some of you may remember I bought a ReadyNAS Pro last month. When I got it, the fan sounded like it was failing and was quite loud. After talking to Netgear support, I contacted Amazon and Amazon quickly issued a replacement to me. The second device, while quieter, was still quite noisy (well over the rated 25 dBA, as far as I can tell by comparing it to other similarly spec'ed devices, such as the Samsung hard disks I bought for it, which are rated at 27 dBA).

Anyway, I ended up returning both ReadyNAS Pro's.

Now, I'm thinking about taking the plunge again. The Synology 1010+ looks very tempting at its current prices on Amazon. Can anyone speak to its noise levels in comparison to the ReadyNAS Pro? On the spec sheet it looks good, but my experience with the ReadyNASes has left me skeptical about spec sheets.

Any other major thoughts on what I'm giving up or gaining by trying the 1010+ over my ill-fated Netgear devices?

Thanks,
Tim

Sorry I can't comment on comparing the two as I have never used/heard the Netgear

I have a 1010+ and can say that for a five bay device with 2 constantly spinning fans it is remarkably quiet, but don't expect it to be silent as it is aimed at the SMB market not silent home use

It will be noticeable if it was set up in a quiet bedroom and on 24/7, but would be OK if it was sitting next to a HTPC in a lounge

When it is running, it is easily drowned out by my fairly quiet PC, but it does suffer from one thing

I think Synology used too hard a grade of rubber for the 4 feet, and so when it's running there is a very low level hum which is transferred from the 1010+ to the shelf/table that it sits on

I cured mine by placing a small box of similar footprint underneath, but you could use a square of polystyrene or foam

But putting this packing underneath, it isolates the low level hum and becomes pretty quiet for a device with 5 drives and 2 fans

It can also be made quieter still if you set it to 2.5 mode from the default 3.5 mode (fan spins slower), but this will raise the temperatures about 5-10 degrees

Thanks, ntm. Sorry for overlooking your reply. I ended up being overly busy the last few months and had to set aside my NAS project. Now that I have some time again, however, it looks like the DS1010+ is sold out at Amazon (and discontinued in general, so far as I can tell).

Now, I guess I must go back to the drawing boards. Anyone have any suggestions?

From reports on other forums, it's looks like the DS1010+ is about to be replaced by the DS1511+

Differences are faster CPU, 2 x eSATA ports, so that 2 x DX510 expansion units can be connected, giving a total of 15 drives

we purchased a 1010+ and it's an impressive box. The only difference between that and the 1511+ two is the atom CPU is clocked higher (1.8 vs the 1010+ 1.6) and it's got a 2nd esata port

That being said, the 1010+ can connect one of the dx510's, so your capacity is 10 drives.

The feature set is identical from there. They will both support 3tb drives now, so it's down specifically to capacity that you need.

Thanks. I'm kicking myself for not grabbing a 1010+ when Amazon had them going for under $800. I really can't justify $940 for a new 1511+, but the 1010+ looks perfect. Oh, well!

Ok thank you, once I get my other desktop back online, should be this week, (with an Intel G2 160GB SSD) I will test reading and writing to it.

Also on my NAS what might be effecting it is the free space, it is about 70% full.

Are you worried about learn italian online prep and italian language Check out our latest resources for ccna braindump and brownsenglish questions for practice with definite guarantee of cisco training.

Last edited: