What's new

Losing access to ADSL modem status page

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ilium007

Regular Contributor
I have an ADSL modem in bridge mode between the RT-N66U and the internet, it has a mangement IP of 1.1.1.1. The RT-N66U has both the public IP and 1.1.1.254 address on the WAN interface so I can get to the modems status page. I have a NAT rule set up on outbound connections to the 1.1.1.0 network. When the internet is down it is like I lose this NAT rule as I can no longer get to the ADSL modem. When internet comes back up I can again get to 1.1.1.1. I have the following in the nat-start script:
admin@(none):/tmp/home/root# cat /jffs/scripts/nat-start
#!/bin/sh

/usr/sbin/iptables -I POSTROUTING -t nat -o $(nvram get wan0_ifname) -d 1.1.1.0/24 -j MASQUERADE
sleep 10
ntpclient -h au.pool.ntp.org -s
admin@(none):/tmp/home/root#

Should I have the NAT rule in a different script ?
Any ideas ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Last edited:
I have a successful ADSL access with my N66. My ADSL modem is also a router which assigns 192.168.2.xxx series of IP address, I created my N66 LAN with the 10.0.1.xxx series addresses and let my N66 control the PPPoE connections. So I have access the the WAN IP and my ADSL IP address of 192.168.2.1. No rule needed.

I would check the ADSL bridging IP addresses.

I have a successful ADSL access with my N66. My ADSL modem is also a router which assigns 192.168.2.xxx series of IP address, I created my N66 LAN with the 10.0.1.xxx series addresses and let my N66 control the PPPoE connections. So I have access the the WAN IP and my ADSL IP address of 192.168.2.1. No rule needed.

I would check the ADSL bridging IP addresses.

Actually there is a NAT rule needed if you want to run the modem in a 'layer 2' mode but I found the issue. For some reason the modem had reenabled its DHCP server. All sorted now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

That's good.

I found out on my modem access by accident. I upgraded the N66 firmware to 254 and two IP addresses were shown on the WAN port. Never expected the 192.168.2.xxx series of IP because, in general, when "external" routers issue the PPPoE request, the modem tend to be converted to bridging mode.