What's new

Losing network regularly

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

chufi

Occasional Visitor
Running 378.55 on an ASUS RT-N66U About once a day (or more) I lose all network connectively to beyond the router. This router is on 192.168.0 and it gets it's internet from a router at 10.0.1.1. That router always seems to have internet and connectivity (an old airport express) When I lose network connectivity I can still get to 192.168.0.1 and poke around the UI (or ssh in) but don't see anything particularly weird in the logs. crond complains about the time (see below) but log lines have the appropriate date and time. Routing table stays the same when it is working and when it is not (see below.) A reboot always fixes it, but naturally is a pain. Any thoughts?

Oct 10 11:03:36 crond[277]: time disparity of 407163 minutes detected

10.0.1.1 * 255.255.255.255 UH 0 0 0 WAN
10.0.1.0 * 255.255.255.0 U 0 0 0 WAN
192.168.0.0 * 255.255.255.0 U 0 0 0 LAN
default 10.0.1.1 0.0.0.0 UG 0 0 0 WAN

Sounds like the airport express is failing to keep the RT-N66U connected to me.

I would try physically unplugging all network equipment (modem, router(s), switches) for at least half an hour or more and then plug in the modem (wait for 5 minutes), main router (wait for 5 minutes), switches and other routers (wait for 5 minutes) and then either power on or reboot the client devices normally used.

If the behavior continues, I would next try to use the RT-N66U as the main router instead.

Good thought about the airport express. I can't change the topography as that router isn't mine, but I did get it upgraded to the latest firmware and put the AUS mac address in as reserved address in the DHCP pool so hopefully that does it.

RT-N66U, John's fork 12-13-14.
Clients are three brands of mobile phone (including Apple), a couple of iPads, an ASUS laptop, ChromeCast.

I am also losing connections with the 2.4GHz radio frequently. I have two N66Us in the house, one as the main gateway and the second as an access point. The gateway is as solid as a rock. The AP drops 2.4GHz connections a few times a day. I tried replacing it with a brand new N66U I had in stock, same symptoms. I tried John's fork versions 12, 13 and 14 (and a test-drive of 15). No change. The radio temperature is 54C. 5GHz connections are not affected.

WiFi Analyzer and inSSIDer show the AP is still sending on Channel 6 at regular strength, but clients are dropped and will not reconnect to it.

My advanced settings are attached -- does anyone see anything there that might affect stability?
RT-N66U_settings.png
Thank you!

My advanced settings are attached -- does anyone see anything there that might affect stability?
Thank you!

Try setting WMM APSD to Disable
(This is a power save scheme that involves packet scheduling and there may be incompatibilities in vendor implementations - this is first on the list)

And, since you have the radio always scheduled, try turning off the scheduler (I don't know for sure, but I have a reason for suggesting this that involves a change coming in V15)

Preamble type to Short (Saves a few bytes)