What's new

Lost on NewEgg: Best Router to do this...

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

NASuser

New Around Here
An internet-less wireless local network:

I'm looking to build a simple wireless local network comprised of the following:
1. A wireless N router or access point
2. One or more PCs wired to the router that will act as NAS
3. A tablet that will allow me to access and work with the files anywhere in the office. [I have a nice 64G Toshiba already]

Wired/Wireless security are key here. I do not want the router or any wired PC to be connected to the internet. No Internet Access via this router! Can a router work like this without being connected to the internet?

the wireless router should only allow specific devices to connect to it (i.e. only my tablet)
Can I specify on router settings what Mac Addresses are allowed to connect?

I want a fast connection so I do not necessarily want to encrypt all wireless traffic.

Any ideas on an Android App that will best enable me to access shared files on a local network?

Thanks for sharing your expertise!

I'm looking to build a simple wireless local network comprised of the following:
1. A wireless N router or access point
2. One or more PCs wired to the router that will act as NAS
3. A tablet that will allow me to access and work with the files anywhere in the office. [I have a nice 64G Toshiba already]

Wired/Wireless security are key here. I do not want the router or any wired PC to be connected to the internet. No Internet Access via this router! Can a router work like this without being connected to the internet?
Yes. All the router would do is issue LAN DHCP addresses to clients. Just cap-off the WAN port of the router.

the wireless router should only allow specific devices to connect to it (i.e. only my tablet)
Can I specify on router settings what Mac Addresses are allowed to connect?
Some (many) routers allow for MAC address filtering. Easily spoofed but the bad guy would also need the WiFi pass-phrase/key for your system. So it's unlikely. Let's assume you need not worry about a bad guy connected by cat5 cable (ethernet).
Your FIRST line of defense is the WiFi encryption and passphrase/key. AND who knows that info and are they still authorized and still trustworthy? Maybe change the passphrase every 8 weeks or whatever. Beware who has the router admin password to alter the ACL. Next, it's preventing physical access to your IT gear and wiring.

I want a fast connection so I do not necessarily want to encrypt all wireless traffic.WiFi encryption will not significantly reduce speed. Gotta use it

Any ideas on an Android App that will best enable me to access shared files on a local network? My Android phone and my tablet have an app provided by my NAS vendor (Synology). Of course, any PC can share selected folders on the LAN. Otherwise, think about getting a small (two-bay) NAS. See the NAS section here and the NAS reviews on this forum. Opinion: Synology or QNAP; I use a small Synology that's simple to admin. I suggest NOT relying on shared folders on PC. No backups and hard to manage, vs. a small NAS.

Thanks for sharing your expertise!

See my interspersed responses in italics.

Last edited:
Thanks and quick followup...

Thanks for the quick response!

Quick followup:
For a router to issue LAN DHCP addresses to clients, I should be able to power up the router, connect an Ethernet cord to it from a laptop, plug in the HTTP address for the controls and never even connect to the internet Ever? Any tricky settings I should be ready to do to issue LAN DHCP addresses to clients?

So encryption doesn't slow traffic down much and is the same thing as having your network WEP password protected, etc. And for added protection, I can look for a router with MAC Address Filtering capability.

Preventing physical access to PC/wiring/router is not an issue...mostly worried about network weakness via internet and wireless sources.

As far as using shared folders on a PC...if i turned my PC into a server, would that help streaming speed, file management, etc? I have an older dual processor PC with 5 hot-swap hard-drive bays...sounds like a waste of money paying for a 4 bay NAS with an Atom processor that is similar in power to my PC (albeit much smaller and sleeker). Just hoping my PC can do the same thing.

A NAS is a viable option...but again, it would have to be ok living on a network not connected to the internet. So I get a nice multi-bay NAS, stick some 2TB hard-drives in it and connect it to a router via an Eithernet cable...no internet required?

All routers have DHCP for the LAN side clients. It's on by default.

If you don't connect the router to the Internet, all you are doing is looking at file contents?

A small NAS will equal or beat Shares on PCs, and will centralize things.

Try the NAS online demos from Synology and QNAP. You'll see that these NASes have great features. Not just dispensing files.

Thanks Stevech!

I think I've got this figured out enough to dive in and start.

Yes, all I'm doing is working with existing file contents and new designs created without any internet connectivity. I've got this theory that if I keep some equipment isolated from the internet...it relieves a ton of hassle in the long run and I've been right. I've got a 4 y/o dual processor PC that I have only connected to the internet once (to verify Windows). No anti-virus; no worries about spyware, viruses, or any type of malicious attacks. It's the fastest booting machine and can do Computer Aided Drafting like none other.

This PC and all its HD bays will now be converted to a data PC connected to the local internet.

If I hard-wire the PC to the router, i shouldn't have too much trouble with data speed.

A NAS may be a nice future option. We'll see how the old PC goes.

True--- no internet=fewer hassles. But most professionals would need a nearby PC with email and web access for work tasks. I suppose that can be isolated.