What's new

Low 5GHz speed rates with RT-AC66U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

andresmorago

Hello
Im experiencing very low speed rates with my RT-AC66u unit.
Unit runs build 378.53.
Im right next to the router and can only get 54mbps. Also, i have an apple TV and an iPad and both also get no more than 54mbps.

kLecJjh.jpg

Here are my settings
GBAQ0MM.jpg

WIll appreciate your help!

Thanks

Last edited:
Make sure you have encryption set to WPA2-Personal, with AES encryption. Otherwise, the router will limit you to 802.11g rates.

No idea then why your clients would be forced down to 802.11g speeds. Try changing the SSID, then connecting your deevice as if it was a new router to see what happens - it's possible those devices used to connect to a 802.11g router, and they kept these settings in their local profiles even after you changed routers.

Try also connecting just one device at a time, in case it's one of your older devices that's forcing the 5 GHz to drop to 802.11g rates. If it works, then add one device at a time until you find the culprit.

OK. I just disconnected all devices which were using the 5Ghz network. I only left my laptop which has an Intel Dual Band Wireless-N 7260 adapter.
I also deleted the wireless profile from my Intel Proset software and here is what i get after connecting again. Apparently No more thab 54mbps are offered from the router.

zvLg6DE.jpg

Also, setting the Wireless Mode to N/AC mixed wont let any of my devices connect to the network. Even my iPhone 6 which should be 5Ghz ready. If this setting is in AUTO, clients will connect only with 54mbps

Last edited:
OK. I just disconnected all devices which were using the 5Ghz network. I only left my laptop which has an Intel Dual Band Wireless-N 7260 adapter.
I also deleted the wireless profile from my Intel Proset software and here is what i get after connecting again. Apparently No more thab 54mbps are offered from the router.

Your screenshot says "band 802.11a", which has a limit of 54 Mbps. Make sure you are not forcing it into 802.11a mode - it should be 802.11n.

Hello and thanks.
This is very confusing to me now. I have 4 options under Wireless Mode on my router: AUTO, N, N/AC, Legacy. If I select either N or N/AC, none of my devices would connect to the network. Only AUTO or Legacy will allow them to connect and under 54mbps.

Last edited:
Hello and thanks.
This is very confusing to me now. I have 4 options under Wireless Mode on my router: AUTO, N, N/AC, Legacy. If I select either N or N/AC, none of my devices would connect to the network. Only AUTO or Legacy will allow them to connect and under 54mbps.

Check your devices, not your router. Make sure they are not set to 802.11a (and that they do actually support 802.11n).

Hello Merlin. Thanks for your feedback.
There is something going on with my router. iPhone 6 must connect to a 5Ghz and it doesnt.
I monkeyed around with my settings and ended up changing some thing until WMM appeared. Now clients connect without issues.
Im still unsure what I did and if theres anything else i could improve with my settings.

BEFORE

AFTER