What's new

LTE connected router?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Anders Thingholm

New Around Here
I'm in a bad wired connection area and are using 4G. But due to a change in vendor, I need to find my own router this time. I have two antennas on the roof to point toward nearest antenna that I should be able to connect. But most routers that have LTE/4G is fairly old. Or am I missing something?
Any suggestions regarding which to choose and why?

I started researching cellular routers for a friend and pretty much just gave up since they are already using a cell phone as a hot spot and it's working. Since cell carriers differ so much by region or country there are different models available in different regions of the world.

Price levels vary drastically too. The cheapest option would probably be to use a USB cellular adapter plugged into a wireless router that supports USB cellular WAN. There are SOHO and enterprise class options too.

So either looking for a good dongle that have connection to external antennas and a new router, pr somehting that cradlepoint can provide. Thanks.. have something to look into now :)

Hi Anders - I'm assuming by your name that you might be in Europe? If so, these might not all be available in, or compatible with, your market. If you're shopping models with embedded modems, make sure to double-check compatibility with your broadband provider.

1) Peplink - Pepwave models have embedded modems. If you can get a USB modem and/or multi-WAN is of interest, then also look at the Balance series.
2) CradlePoint - Still relevant, even if they have changed their business model somewhat.
3) Accelerated - Similar to CradlePoint, newer to market, but supposedly excellent as well.
4) Mikrotik - If your skills are up to it and a USB modem is an option. Note: their modem support can be iffy, depending on your market.

3GStore.com has a really nice showcase of Peplink, CradlePoint and Accelerated if you want to get an idea on pricing and features in the space.

Hope that helps!

Thanks, Trip :).. I'm unsure if I should settle for something smaller until 5g products starts comming out. The LTE bandwith in my country isn't that good anyway

Hi Anders. Regarding connectivity standards, I would just purchase based on what's available now, and let future speculation be just that. Too many variables at play to be able to "future proof", in this space especially.