What's new

MAC Address Differences on Two RT-AC66R Routers

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

SJMarty

Occasional Visitor
So I purchased a second RT-AC66R to use as an access point. During setup, I noticed that the LAN and wireless MAC addresses are very different from my other router's...

First Router's MAC: 10:C3:7B:--:--:--
New Router's MAC: E0:3F:49:--:--:--

I looked up the MACs and they both show "ASUSTek COMPUTER INC." as the vendor. I also checked the hardware version (printed on the decal on the box) and they are both the same (A1). Both are made in China and both were manufacturer in 2014. Both are the RT-AC66R (not "U").

There is no problem I can see - I supposed at this point it's just curiosity. Does anyone know what, if any, differences there are between these two routers?

This is normal. Each device will have it's own unique MAC address.
I'm not a networking expert but I believe that having 2 devices with the same MAC on your LAN will screw things up.

Yes, the MACs should be (and are) unique. The first six characters define what manufacturer designed the interface. I was expecting both to start with 10:C3:7B. I'm trying to find out if there is a difference between the two interfaces due to one starting with 10:C3:7B and the other starting with E0:3F;49.

Sorry, one last ask...any ideas why the disparity in the MACs?
Hi,
That is unique id. for the router or WiFi card, etc. Like your house address. If there were two identical MAC it'd be a trouble.

Sorry, one last ask...any ideas why the disparity in the MACs?

They might simply have been allocated a new OUI due to running out of space in the other ones.

I wouldn't lose any sleep over that, to be honest.

They might simply have been allocated a new OUI due to running out of space in the other ones.

I wouldn't lose any sleep over that, to be honest.

Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if ASUS had several OUI's given the number of devices they produce.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!