What's new

Mac Filter & Static IP List Limitations

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Max142

Occasional Visitor
On my 4 acre property I have 2 RT AC87 routers in access point mode and as main router is a Linksys EA9500. I get acceptable WIFI coverage about the property. The Linksys GUI is quite limited in its productivity and abilities. My intent is to switch over to the Asus AC5300 as a main router. I have noticed in the past in experimenting with mine that the limitations on mac & static lists increase. I would be happy with 64 & 128 or therebouts. I can not find any information about this when the Merlin firmware is installed. Also could I experience close to similar WIFI signal strength as the EA6500. NO children or Gaming going on here. I have a choice between the AC3100 and AC5300 right or wrong i thought the 5300 on merlin firmware would be better choice. Thanks in advance.

The maximum number of entries for a MAC filter list is 64, even with Merlin's firmware. He's said in the past this is not something he can increase.

And that (64) maximum is further subject to file-size constraints too that can't be exceeded (in total). I can't remember that number right now, but it is low.

The maximum number of entries for a MAC filter list is 64, even with Merlin's firmware. He's said in the past this is not something he can increase.
Thank you for the reply...and yes i have seen that limitation explained. I am good with about 30 to 40 on the Mac filt side. It is the max entries on the static ip address side where I max out. But can not find the limit on the 5300 before investing....dave

Code:
384.13 (31-July-2019)
  - CHANGED: dhcp_staticlist no longer contains hostnames, these
             have been moved to dhcp_hostnames for better
             compatibility with upstream and closed source
             components, also allows more static leases to be
             defined before reaching the size limit.
I don't know whether there's a limit in the GUI (EDIT: I think it says 128) but the size limit on the variable would restrict you to about 90 static leases.

Thank you for that information. That part I am now comfortable on a go . I am now in the midst of comparing the Asus 5300 to the Linksys ea9500. to assist in my decision regarding switch over. Again thank you to both.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!