What's new

OSX PPTP VPN password problem with firmware 9313 and 9135

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ludo14

Occasional Visitor
Hello,

I didn't know where to post if router issue or firmware issue.

I installed a new RT-AC66U and first tried firmware 9313 then downgraded to 9135.
I configured several PPTP VPN users with mixed MAC and PC users.
If the password started with number and then a letter example " 123Pass " then the MAC users 9 out of ten times could not connect.
If the password started with a letter example " pass123 " or " Pass123 " then MAC users can always connect.
This happened no matter what OSX version they had.
PC users could always connect.

This is the error in the log
Nov 24 11:15:24 pptpd[1169]: CTRL: EOF or bad error reading ctrl packet length.
Nov 24 11:15:24 pptpd[1169]: CTRL: couldn't read packet header (exit)
Nov 24 11:15:24 pptpd[1169]: CTRL: CTRL read failed
or
Nov 24 13:06:19 pptp[1415]: Peer radas failed CHAP authentication
Nov 24 13:06:19 pptp[1415]: Connection terminated.

When it did connect it would show the following in the log
pppd 2.4.7 started by admin, uid 0
I wish it showed the actual user name that did successfully connect

With 9313 VPN response times were longer even when accessing the router admin pages.
With 9135 VPN response times were better when accessing the router admin pages.
The other difference in 9135 was this error in log " Nov 24 13:24:05 mDNSNetMonitor: GetLargeResourceRecord: opt 65002 optlen 8 wrong "
But I seen the post by RMerlin to ignore

Side question can I enable both pptp and openvpn to test both methods?

I also learned the hard way not to remove and add users on the same single config apply. Doing this caused the username be added to the back of the password of the usernames not being modified and modified.
example " pass123username " when the original password was " pass123 "

Let me know if you need additional info and I hope I was clear in the explanation of the problem.

Last edited:
Update to this problem

There is a problem with verizon fios g1100 router that does not allow pptp passthrough. I confirmed this with a three way conversation with verizon and router manufacturer. Manufacturer rep said they are not going to fix it and they suggested I purchase a different router. I even tried port forwarding and this still did not work and the manufacturer said it would not work as well.

The only way I got it to work was set the computer to static ip and set that ip to dmz.

Update to this problem

There is a problem with verizon fios g1100 router that does not allow pptp passthrough. I confirmed this with a three way conversation with verizon and router manufacturer. Manufacturer rep said they are not going to fix it and they suggested I purchase a different router. I even tried port forwarding and this still did not work and the manufacturer said it would not work as well.

The only way I got it to work was set the computer to static ip and set that ip to dmz.

Or switch to OpenVPN. No need for a new router for that...

PPTP is tricky because it doesn't just use plain TCP or UDP, but it also uses the GRE protocol, which some modems might not properly handle/pass to the LAN.

Ok its just that the initial configuration of PPTP is simple to implement on router and for clients.
Is there a thread on how to configure openvpn for router and clients with reliable settings?

Also several people have to connect at the same time what is the maximum the router will support?

Ok its just that the initial configuration of PPTP is simple to implement on router and for clients.
Is there a thread on how to configure openvpn for router and clients with reliable settings?

Enable OpenVPN, click on the Export button, and use the downloaded config file on your clients. It's pretty much all there is to it. Asus has a FAQ on their support site I think.

Also several people have to connect at the same time what is the maximum the router will support?

Depends on how much traffic you are handling simultaneously. The RT-AC66U's CPU will limit total OpenVPN throughput to about 10-15 Mbps max, provided the Internet connection can keep up.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!