What's new

Magical R7800, can someone explain?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mrQQ

Occasional Visitor
Hi,

so I want to update my home wifi to AC. I reaaaally like the performance reviews of Orbi, but I'm kinda geeky so like meddling with configurations and have some weird requirements like VPNs, and so on, so I would prefer to go router + extender.

So I tried to research the routers. I don't need 3 band, I don't have that many devices, and neither of them is more than 2x2 so most of the ratings don't make sense for me. But I also like to buy high end stuff, so naturally, I'm looking at the top tier routers.

And this is where I'm stumped. Router Charts show R7800 as being 3.5x faster than R8000 and 3x faster than R8000P.

What is this? Testing was done with bugged firmware? Different chipsets having dramatically different performance? Something else?

Is R7800 really that magical?

Can't talk about the speed tests as you have to ask Tim how he conducted them, but the R7800 is still NGs one of the best routers to go for. The R8xxx line has many issues (a few hardware ones like failings and many firmware ones). I use an R7800 for over a year and despite a few annoyances I can say it's very reliable, especially on firmware side

I want to use Router + Extender. Would be awesome to dedicate one band to backhaul, but R7800 has only two bands. Should I look at the other vendors? Should I ignore the dual-band thing and pretend that band sharing will not be a problem? Or perhaps R8xxx issues have been solved already?

Or should I still wait a bit for AX devices?

I want to use Router + Extender. Would be awesome to dedicate one band to backhaul, but R7800 has only two bands. Should I look at the other vendors? Should I ignore the dual-band thing and pretend that band sharing will not be a problem? Or perhaps R8xxx issues have been solved already?

As magical as the R7800 seems today, I would be patient a little longer for an AX solution instead (non-beta). The improvements will overshadow anything we have today and be usable for the next half-decade, at least.

A few of my customers need to update their routers today, they're getting RT-AC86's. The others are not in as much of a rush. The RT-AX will be their upgrade path.

I think that sometime this summer, we should have a good selection of AX routers to choose from. Even if I'm wrong, most of my customers can afford to wait (their networks are fine for their current workloads, as is).

I'm with L&LD. Wait a little for the AX models to mature, especially on firmware side. Don't purchase one yet as you'll be beta testing and get grey hair

Hi,

so I want to update my home wifi to AC. I reaaaally like the performance reviews of Orbi, but I'm kinda geeky so like meddling with configurations and have some weird requirements like VPNs, and so on, so I would prefer to go router + extender.

So I tried to research the routers. I don't need 3 band, I don't have that many devices, and neither of them is more than 2x2 so most of the ratings don't make sense for me. But I also like to buy high end stuff, so naturally, I'm looking at the top tier routers.

And this is where I'm stumped. Router Charts show R7800 as being 3.5x faster than R8000 and 3x faster than R8000P.

What is this? Testing was done with bugged firmware? Different chipsets having dramatically different performance? Something else?

Is R7800 really that magical?

Bigger number doesn't mean better....

if you want to use the R7800 with an extender, NGs EX7700 matches up with the R7800. Works well. I like both of them connected when I use mine. The EX7700 works well with my XR450 too.
o_O

I'm with L&LD. Wait a little for the AX models to mature, especially on firmware side. Don't purchase one yet as you'll be beta testing and get grey hair

Concur - one can always get one for testing, but it's early in the 11ax spec, and silicon is still coming up to speed...

Is there any way 802.11ax would benefit older (ac, n) clients? Or not at all?

With every new standard (even from draft routers) I have seen a benefit to using them even with older clients. Sometimes the benefits are small, sometimes bigger, but the benefits were there.

Tim even made an article about that, way back when AC was still a relatively new thing. :)

https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wir...oes-an-ac-router-improve-n-device-performance

I haven't tested an AX router yet in my environment (which I know well), but I have no doubt that the hardware improvements, including RF, CPU, and RAM, will no doubt bring benefits once more.

Just keep one thing in mind when ac came it's speedy than n but only wave 2 Gave real boost to wireless. Even now 160mhz not widely used so R7800 have still future use and in my testing a7000 in same room can hit 108MB/s or 940ish on wireless ac 3x3.

Sent from my ASUS_Z01RD using Tapatalk

Just installed v64SF and seems good. However running my R7800 in Bridge mode, this is working however the top 2.4Ghz LED is ON, no blinking though. I the 2.4Ghz radio was enabled under Advanced Wireless Settings so I disabled it and left the 5Ghz enabled as this is what I selected to use in the Wireless Bridge settings. After disabling the 2.4Ghz radio, the LED is still ON. Would rather not have this ON as it would make someone think the 2.4Ghz is working. :oops:

ok i guess i need to wait until i can get rx router + ax repeater + ax 4x4 pci-e card...

but coming back to original question - is it really so that R7800 is more than 3 times faster or was this some specific case in the tests..?

What I can say about the R7800 is that it puts one of the best range and speed in testings. However, I do not know how this test was done (could be specific to something)

but coming back to original question - is it really so that R7800 is more than 3 times faster or was this some specific case in the tests..?

It doesn't matter what the speed tests show , those tests were not made on your network or in your home/office environment.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!